HD650 with which amp?
Jul 22, 2004 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

WSLam

New Head-Fier
I am new to this forum. I have been lurking around for a few days and have learned alot from all that everyone has written.
In fact, I am new to the whole headphone topic. I have spent all my resources in the past in building up my hi-fi system, which now cosists of Linn CD12, Linn Unidisk 1.1, Audio Note DAC5 Signature as front ends, and Placette Passive Linestage (Balanced) (I used to use the Conrad Johnson ART II), and ML No.33H amps, driving a pair of Revel Salon, with all Siltech G6 cables.
I mostly listen to large orchestral works but I do listen to simple female vocals as well.
From all that I have read, it seems to me that the HD650 is 'the one' for headphones, but headphone amp seems to be a lot more complex.
I am leaning towards ordering the Rudistor's RP5cav based on the comments from various people on this forum. I am wondering if anyone may have argument against the RP5cav.
I am also toying with the idea of modifying the RP5cav to use a Vishay based volume control instead of the ALP pot used. I am 'addicted' to the transparent nature of the Placette vishay products and am wondering if anyone think this may be benefificial to the final sound quality.
Thank you in advance.

Jul 22, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by WSLam
I am new to this forum. I have been lurking around for a few days and have learned alot from all that everyone has written.
In fact, I am new to the whole headphone topic. I have spent all my resources in the past in building up my hi-fi system, which now cosists of Linn CD12, Linn Unidisk 1.1, Audio Note DAC5 Signature as front ends, and Placette Passive Linestage (Balanced) (I used to use the Conrad Johnson ART II), and ML No.33H amps, driving a pair of Revel Salon, with all Siltech G6 cables.
I mostly listen to large orchestral works but I do listen to simple female vocals as well.
From all that I have read, it seems to me that the HD650 is 'the one' for headphones, but headphone amp seems to be a lot more complex.
I am leaning towards ordering the Rudistor's RP5cav based on the comments from various people on this forum. I am wondering if anyone may have argument against the RP5cav.
I am also toying with the idea of modifying the RP5cav to use a Vishay based volume control instead of the ALP pot used. I am 'addicted' to the transparent nature of the Placette vishay products and am wondering if anyone think this may be benefificial to the final sound quality.
Thank you in advance.

Hi and welcome to this forum...

You are the first person here to have (as I have) the Linn Sondek CD 12, so we have a lot in common for the sound.

If you consider the HD 650 the first headphone I recomend you the RP5, I have and I had the HD 650: I never heard that can sounding in that way...

But If you are intentioned to have the best of the best, try to listen the Stax OmegaII / Egmont and then you will tell me something about HEAVEN !!!

Best!
Nicola

Jul 22, 2004 at 8:34 AM Post #3 of 44
Try any of the Singlepower amps. You can read about them in the Fla., NY, and So cal threads. The new Maestro or the Supra or SDS will probably rate as good or better than most anything out there for the HD650.
You can get Mikhail to tailor the amp for the 650's and he builds amps in all price ranges any way you want them. I've been using the SDS for over a year with the senns and nothing I have heard can come close.
600smile.gif

Jul 22, 2004 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 44
Thanks for the quick replies! Always like responsive forums!
280smile.gif

Yes Nik, CD12. An absolute joy to own one. I am sure you'd agree. I have not decided whether I will connect from the CD12 or the AN DAC5S. They are close (matter of preference).

What is the Egmont? I was tempted to get a STAX setup at first, but after reading many different threads, it seems 'safer' to go with the HD650 approach?

What is Singlepowers Website? I can't seem to find it.

So between RP5cav, Singlepowers... and what about the GPS Audio Solo?

Too many choices...

Please keep in mind it is unlikely I will get to try out any one of them. Most of these are only sold direct and I live in Hong Kong. So my choice must be 'sensible' and safe...

Thanks again.

WSLam

Jul 22, 2004 at 9:38 AM Post #5 of 44
Quote:

Thanks for the quick replies! Always like responsive forums!
280smile.gif

Yes Nik, CD12. An absolute joy to own one. I am sure you'd agree. I have not decided whether I will connect from the CD12 or the AN DAC5S. They are close (matter of preference).

What is the Egmont? I was tempted to get a STAX setup at first, but after reading many different threads, it seems 'safer' to go with the HD650 approach?

What is Singlepowers Website? I can't seem to find it.

So between RP5cav, Singlepowers... and what about the GPS Audio Solo?

Too many choices...

Please keep in mind it is unlikely I will get to try out any one of them. Most of these are only sold direct and I live in Hong Kong. So my choice must be 'sensible' and safe...

Thanks again.

WSLam

Hi,

The Egmont Reference is the last word in Omega II amplifing. You can see the Signature version here: http://www.rudistor.com/soundsystems/signature.htm

The Reference is a step up to the Signature, only on request, special order by Rudi.

Best!
Nicola

Jul 22, 2004 at 9:55 AM Post #6 of 44
Thank you Nik!
Looks mighty impressive. And the price to match!
Since you have both, can you describe the difference? I know it's hard to describe sound but you are in the best position to offer a descriptiion of the difference.

thanks.

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:02 AM Post #8 of 44
I totally agree with Sacd Lover and Tom Hankins regarding the Singlepower/Senn combo. It's really a match made in heaven. I've heard the 650s with every Singlepower model and they all sound incredible. I've been listening to my 650s with my Maestro so much that I haven't watched television in over a week !
eek.gif

Great stuff in my opinion!

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:48 AM Post #9 of 44
Another vote for SinglePower. I have an MPX3 configured with 6cg7 tubes and it's simple awesome with the HD650s. You can get this amp for well under a grand. It's the first headphone rig I've had that I actually prefer to my speaker system.

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 44
Hi WSLAm and welcome to Headfi....you have really come to the right place.

Like you, I came after having built a great stereo system. I am pretty familiar with your system having lived with both the Revels and the Levinson 33hs in my home for a while.

I currently use the Burmester and haven't had the pleasure of the Linn but I know the Dac 5 and it is wonderful.

I have not heard the Rudistor that Nik likes so much but I HAVE listened to Singlepower products with the HD650s. Mikhail at Singlepower builds truly custom amplifiers and I assure you he can build an amplifier for you which is every bit as transparent as the Placette (and that is saying something since the Placette is one of the most transparent preamps I have ever heard).

The Singlepowers will be based on the 6sn7 tube (one of the finest sounding tubes) and you'll want to get top notch NOS 6sn7s. The stock Electro Harmonics sound great but with your choices in equipment you won't want to compromise on tubes, they make a huge difference. Also the circuit is clean enough that you can virtually tune the type of sound you want from the Singlepowers through tube selection.

Again, I have not heard the Rudistor but, If it were me - and I decided on the Rudistor - I would have some upgrades made. I find it hard to believe that you can get the level of transparency you are accustomed to with the Placette by using an ALPS pot...there are a few other upgrades I am sure Nik could suggests, he is not afraid to heavily modify his amps.

I have Mikhail building a no holds barred R-10 series Maestro ZR amplifier to use with a pair of Sony R-10s. Mikhail is a dream to work with. The guy can implement anything you want and.......as an example, My R-10s are being shipped directly to Mikhail who is going to voice my amplifier around the very headphones I am going to use with it - try getting Madrigal to do something like that even with the 33s. Hand trimmed Vishays and ONLY hand trimmed Vishays, the list goes on....I HIGHLY recommend at least talking to Mikhail and I think if you do some searching here you will find that NOBODY who has dealt with Mikhail has anything but praise for him and his abilities.

I use the HD650s now and I can also tell you that the Moon Audio Silver Dragon headphone cable is a substantial upgrade. The Silver Dragon is the ONLY upgrade cable I have used and I have no doubt from reading the threads here that others are very good as well....for that you might read a review of upgrade cables for the HD650 written by a guy named "Tuberoller" here. It is an informative thread (and a large part of what I used to base my selection of the Silver Dragon upon) but I disagree with his assessment of the HD600 vs HD650s. I had the HD600s, and while it might be controversial here, I personally find the HD650s to be a clearly superior set of headphones.

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK !

Jul 22, 2004 at 12:41 PM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Thank you Nik!
Looks mighty impressive. And the price to match!
Since you have both, can you describe the difference? I know it's hard to describe sound but you are in the best position to offer a descriptiion of the difference.

thanks.

Please let me know better: the different between the two Egmonts or the Egmont and the RP5?

Best!
Nicola

Jul 22, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #13 of 44
Thank you all. I am truly overwhelmed by all the very informative replies. Just as I expected, the search for a headphone amp is indeed a lot more difficult than picking out the headphones. Given the number of people that has voted on the SinglePower units, I shall give it a good look. The website seems rather lacking but I will email them to find out more.
At the same time, if cost or whatever other reason steers me away from the SinglePower amps, RP5cav seems like my next best logical choice.
It is so difficult to buy things like this 'blind', without actually listening to them first.
Again, thank you all.

Jul 22, 2004 at 3:58 PM Post #14 of 44
Has anyone actually listen to both the RP5 and SinglePowers? And WHICH Singlepowers are you guys referring to? I don't think I will spend more than $1500 on the headphone amp...

Thanks again.

Jul 22, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #15 of 44
Personally, I enjoy Ray samual's house sound with HD650. It is my understand that his amp is design primary with HD650 in mind. I have listen to his full fleet of amp during the Socal meet with a 588. They all sound amazing to me. (I have also listen to singlepower, and they are pretty good as well. I do not have enough time on time to give a good impression though.)
I recommand you ask for demo or find Ray's amp or singlepower amp around you, then compare them. It is your ear, afterall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back