HD650 with Pioneer Elite SC-27, or need separate amp?
Apr 1, 2010 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bubba67

New Head-Fier
First off, I tried searching the forums but couldn't find the answer.

I purchased the Sennheiser HD650 recently (in transit) and am wondering whether the Pioneer Elite SC-27 has enough juice to drive the HD650s or would I really need a separate amp (such as the Burson 160). Secondarily, if the opinion is that a separate amp is needed, then would one get a bigger improvement in the sound with getting an aftermarket cable or getting the amp?

Thanks.

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 6
Try it with the receiver first. If your happy with it then there is no need for a separate amp.

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 6
In my opinion, a quality amp will get you more improvement (by far) than a cable. As francisdemarte stated, see if you like the sound from your receiver. If you do, then you're good!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 6
I strongly recommend getting an amp before getting a cable. Actually, try several amps before getting a cable.

Tubes love the HD650
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I strongly recommend getting an amp before getting a cable. Actually, try several amps before getting a cable.

Tubes love the HD650
smily_headphones1.gif

ON the MONEY!!!!

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 6
Thank you for the suggestions received so far.

I'm wondering whether anyone listened to those cans with a Pioneer Elite receiver and subsequently with a separate amp. I've listened to a pair of HD600s on my receiver, and they sound good to me, but never having listened through a separate dedicated headphone amp I'm
sure if I am missing much (to 43 yr old set of male ears).

If an amp were to be procurred, what about SS Burson HA-160 (much touted on this forum) vs tubed Darkvoice 337 SE or regular?

The consensus seems to be that amp gives better bang than new cabling?

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back