HD650: What death grip!
Jan 19, 2006 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

cheechoz

Headphoneus Supremus
I just put on a brand new, factory fresh HD650, and I must admit, the cans grabbed my cranium with brute force!
eek.gif
But just like my previous set, after a few pulls, not even that hard, they are now sitting comfotably on my head.

Either the majority that complain of this death grip, have got bigger than normal heads, or they just need to give a little tug here and there!

Let's get a bit creative here everyone!
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 35
I've never had any problems with it either. I don't find it bothersome at all. I don't exactly have a small head either, and I've never done anything to widen the headband.

Jan 19, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 35
Having a head shape typical of many Asians (a bit on the wide side of things), I didn't find the grip bothersome. In fact, I bought the HD650 because of the grip people reported. I wear my headphones at work in a semi streetstyle fashion with the headband tilted a little behind the crown of my head and not touching my head at all.

Jan 19, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 35
i place a book in between them ever couple of days to stretch it out overnite, but the death grip keeps comming back

Jan 19, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 35
I've never understood the "vice-grip" complaint. (My HD 600's are comfy as can be!)

-Angler
580smile.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 35
Do your earcup adjusters creak when you move your head? Mine do, and have since new, and it's really annoying if I'm moving my head often while listening.

*Creak squeak... squeak... creak creak*

Jan 19, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 35
No problems here. Those who have problems with the grip have weak heads.
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 35
I was used to my 555s by the time I got my 650s. So the 650s were a bit tight on my dome. But honestly it would be 2-3 hours before I would notice it. Now they are completely comfortable and I have a pretty large head. I will admit that one time I did slightly attempt to widen the headband but after one pull I chickened out and let it be. Dont think I even did anything, but in time they became perfect for my head.

Jan 19, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 35
It took quite a while for my HD 580s to become comfortable. Unlike the mythical veil, the vise grip on those higher end Senns is a reality. I must admit to having a rather large head though.
580smile.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
The grip of the HD650 is one of the main reasons why I'm using them on the HD600's headband: grip rating 3.4 (HD650) versus 2.5 (HD600) according to Sennheiser, whatever those numbers actually mean.

Newton. 1 N = 1 kg*m / s^2, or the force needed to accelerate a 1 kg object with 1 m/s^2, which is about the gravitational force of something weighing 102 g. The maximum recommended clamping force is 5 N (HD280). Now the force alone doesn't say everything, the pressure (force / area to which it is applied) is also relevant. New pads are still rather stiff and have a rather small contact area, well-used flattened pads make contact to the head on a noticeably larger surface area (meaning less pressure) and are thus more comfy.

Jan 20, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Altorfer
It took quite a while for my HD 580s to become comfortable. Unlike the mythical veil, the vise grip on those higher end Senns is a reality. I must admit to having a rather large head though.
580smile.gif

I don't know, I'm a pretty big guy, and I don't find them tight on my head at all, just take a look at me:

stickemup.jpg

Jan 20, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #14 of 35
I found them rediculously tight. I even stretched them out over a paint can length wise for three days! They were still squeezing the eyeballs out of my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back