HD650 + what amp/sound card?
Aug 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

avengernoonzz

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new pair of cans for music.. well for gaming as well but mostly music. I listen to a lot of Indie Rock, Alternative, and few pop-punk bands. I hear the HD650s are great for this type of music but require serious amping?

I'll be using it mainly at home with my computer. Do the HD650s really require serious amping? My current setup is the ASUS Xonar DG which I think won't cut it so what sound card would you guys recommend (both sound cards and/or different headphones)?

Other info:

My budget is around $600-700 AUD all up. Pricing of HD650s here are $450-500 (lowest I've seen is $450). My current headphones are the Sennheiser HD598s. Are the HD650s a big jump from that? In case anyone is wondering.. my brother are taking my HD598s which is why I'm looking for a new pair of cans.

Cheers! :D

edit: Actually just seen a HD650 for around $400 :D

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 6
The HD 650 (and kin) are different from the 598 (and kin) - more bass and darker would be the quick'n'dirty answer. For what you listed, music-wise, I think they'd do fine, but I think the AKG K701 might do as well if not better, and the Grado SR-225/325 would do swimmingly. But really, the HD 650 would do fine. The HD 600 would be a less expensive alternative as well.

Amp-wise, they aren't *that* insane, but you do need a headphone amplifier of sorts. The TI6120 that is very popular for soundcards and desktop units will drive them just fine - Asus makes a few cards with that chip, like the STX. Creative's Recon3D (which uses a somewhat similar Maxim chip) will also work fine. The new Creative Zx series is likely 6120-based, and would do fine as well.

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi!

The hd650 is an 300ohm headphone, so yes it needs some amping, although not super serious to get a satisfactory sound.
I use them with the nuforce icon hdp and they get along pretty well.

I've read that other people use them with the fiio e7.
A friend of mine tested them with the Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard and got pretty good results.

If you have the opportunity you should try amps out at a hifi store befor dumping out alot of money on them.

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
but I think the AKG K701 might do as well if not better.

The k701 have better soundstage than the hd650, wich is nice for games but the lack of bass doesent make it as good for pop/rock/metal. You can get some better results with the k701 if you play around with an equalizer. 

But OP go with the hd650 if you found a good deal on them, you won't be dissapointed. 

Aug 26, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
I'm looking for a new pair of cans for music.. well for gaming as well but mostly music. I listen to a lot of Indie Rock, Alternative, and few pop-punk bands. I hear the HD650s are great for this type of music but require serious amping?

I'll be using it mainly at home with my computer. Do the HD650s really require serious amping? My current setup is the ASUS Xonar DG which I think won't cut it so what sound card would you guys recommend (both sound cards and/or different headphones)?

My budget is around $600-700 AUD all up. Pricing of HD650s here are $450-500 (lowest I've seen is $450). My current headphones are the Sennheiser HD598s. Are the HD650s a big jump from that? In case anyone is wondering.. my brother are taking my HD598s which is why I'm looking for a new pair of cans.

You can get a single tube headphone amplifier off eBay that can easily drive 300-Ohm headphone and they plug right into the Xonar DG.
The Indeed MK2 6922 ships for $95, some others ship for as little as $55.

You can always get a used Xonar DX or D1 sound card, better DAC (CS4398) then the Xonar DGs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back