HD650, W5000 Tube amp recommendation
Feb 27, 2007 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

j5brock

New Head-Fier
Looking to venture into tubes - always been a SS guy.. Currently have a Grace M902 that I will use as a preamp - love the transparency of Grace products and as a taper I have enjoyed the different flavors amps add to different mics - looking to find a warm tube amp - that might compliment both cans - but if not possible - at least the W5000.. Thanks for any help or suggestions.. Budget - would like to stay under $750 - as I have clean power and a DAC that I'm satisfied with in the M902...

Jeff

Feb 27, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 16
Probably investing $750, even you buy used from someone else, to any tube amps would not give you improvement in your current rig. The Grace M902 is good enough to stay with. By the way, have you heard of Earmax Pro? It may be the one you want and matches well with both HD650 and W5000. But it won't give you any surprises to your Grace M902 if you leave the EarMax Pro with stock tubes.

Feb 27, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 16
double posted ,,,

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #4 of 16
My impression, also, is that the Grace won't be bettered by any $750 tube amp.

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #5 of 16
Don't forget a pair of good interconnectors, that costes you in addition.

Feb 27, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 16
I am not looking for "bettered" - I am looking for a warm flavored amp. The Grace is great as a transparent amp - which for most of what I listen to - is exactly what I am looking for... However, some works benefit from a slight warm coloration - and I thought I might venture into the world of tubes to find this.. How about the Woo3?

Feb 27, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #7 of 16
I am in the same situation. I wanted to feel the tube flavour. I finally went for the darkvoice 336i (still to arrive). I hope not to be dissapointed with the new sound. Some head-fiers in this forum made very good comments about it.
Good luck in your search.

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 16
Woo6?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by j5brock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Budget - would like to stay under $750

I understand that's exactly the going price for a brand new Berning MicroZOTL, an excellent tube amp that besides headphones can also drive some speakers. Highly recommended.

http://www.davidberning.com/

Incidentally, a few days ago I contacted Mr. Berning about his amp, asking him if it could be DIYed. Turns out it's too difficult to build it the DIY way, some parts are not commercially available, and the layout is very critical. At some point I might consider getting a MicroZotl as a tube variety of an amplifier next to my (SS) Dynahi.

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 16
I have a MicroZOTL. I am running it from SLA battery and it's the best amp I have ever heard under $1000
biggrin.gif
It's too complicated for average DIYer to put it together. It's really intricately built. You can see the internal parts here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...86&postcount=1

The sound characteristic of ZOTL is not slow or bloated as typical tube amp stereotype. ZOTL is fast, detailed, airy, and most importantly (to me) the background is pitch black. The sound is like coming out of blackhole.

Oh...and I use to have W5000 with black dragon cable, which I sold few days ago. It sounds wonderful with ZOTL as any amp I mated with. I especially love the ZOTL because it lifts the Senn "veil". That's why my current choice in can is modded Senn HD580
biggrin.gif

Sorry to hijack this thread...I am rather passionate about ZOTL
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand that's exactly the going price for a brand new Berning MicroZOTL, an excellent tube amp that besides headphones can also drive some speakers. Highly recommended.

http://www.davidberning.com/

Incidentally, a few days ago I contacted Mr. Berning about his amp, asking him if it could be DIYed. Turns out it's too difficult to build it the DIY way, some parts are not commercially available, and the layout is very critical. At some point I might consider getting a MicroZotl as a tube variety of an amplifier next to my (SS) Dynahi.

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a MicroZOTL. I am running it from SLA battery and it's the best amp I have ever heard under $1000
biggrin.gif

The MicroZOTL is one of the best amps I've heard regardless of any price consideration.

Hey SK, how to forget those pics! Remember my PM congratulating you on them?
biggrin.gif
In fact I contacted Mr. Berning shortly after I saw your pics.

It seems the MicroZOTL is really difficult to build even for advance DIYers because of some of the custom transformers required. AFAIK there are no DIY-made MicroZOTLs (or are there?)

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #12 of 16
That's a nice compliment
biggrin.gif
One of these days I will visit David and compliment him on his creation in person
biggrin.gif

Some of the internal wires are very thin...thinner than a hair. It's very delicate yet so powerful. In the end, it's all about the sound...and it's the best I heard to date.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MicroZOTL is one of the best amps I've heard regardless of any price consideration.

Hey SK, how to forget those pics! Remember my PM congratulating you on them?
biggrin.gif
In fact I contacted Mr. Berning shortly after I saw your pics.

It seems the MicroZOTL is really difficult to build even for advance DIYers. AFAIK there are no DIY-made MicroZOTLs (or are there?)

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #13 of 16
Anyone compared the Woo6 with the micro-ZOTL? The micro-ZOTL sure looks interesting - Anyone in the Atlanta area have one I can plug into?.. Thx

Jeff

Feb 27, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #14 of 16
I have been running my Antique Sound - MG Head DT/OTL MK III with my w5k's for a while now:

First_Shots_2006-08-16_0026.jpg

I like the setup and it gives me a nice warm tube sound that I was looking for. It will not rival the Grace, but it is not meant to in my analog setup. I feel it is worth a look (listen) at the low price point.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back