hd650 w/o amp... pointless?
Dec 29, 2004 at 11:01 AM Post #16 of 27
Instead of buying the HD 650 (around 300 used), you could consider getting a HD 580 (around 120 used) plus an amp, which is cheaper than the HD 650 alone and sounds a lot better, too. Further, there is also quite a little risk involved when going directly for the HD 650 - Sennheiser's current top of the line headphone. The Sennheiser sound is not to everybody's taste and spending so much money without prior experience with Sennheisers can be risky. Personally, I like the Sennheiser sound a lot because the sound signature is rather dark and silky. If possible, try to audition a few headphones at a local store. Or, if you live the US, both Headroom and Todd have accomodating return policies. You can find their links in the upper right corner of the screen.
In any case, unless you already plan on getting a powerful amp and a better source than the ipod in the near future, I would not suggest purchasing the HD 650.

Dec 29, 2004 at 11:02 AM Post #17 of 27
The HD650 are VERY sensitive to the devices that drives them. I tried them also directly from my compact cassette walkman: I was surprised because the sound pressure was enough but the sound was "unexciting". Driving the HD650 with an umproper source will result in a somewhat "muffled" and flatter sound. I can say this: the HD650 directly from the walkman sounded better (in audiophile parameters) than the Grado Sr-60, but was less exciting than the Grado, which was more enjoyable to listen to. If both were powered properly the full potential of the headphones comes out, and then the HD650 surpasses the little Grado in all the parameters (maybe except that strange parameter named "musicality").

The problem here is not the only the amplification, is the source, 256 kbit/s compressed music with an HD650... I think (but it's only my opinion) that the HD650 in this condition are a waste of money. But if you are thinking to improve your source (at least a decent cd-player)...

Bye
Andrea

Dec 29, 2004 at 12:43 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blizzard
If one component is much better than the rest, it won't come to it's full potential, but it will still generally sound better than when all components are crap. . . . . I have tried HD650 with a bad source and amp. It still sounds better than using bad phones, but not nearly as good as with a good source and decent amp.

Very well said ! Totally agree and really, I cant imagine 'crappy sounding 5xx/6xx' could be anywhere worse than stock earphones. I mean, it's not like buying a good alloy wheel set while saving up for a ferrari (sorry GS =) in any case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Instead of buying the HD 650 (around 300 used), you could consider getting a HD 580 (around 120 used) plus an amp, which is cheaper than the HD 650 alone and sounds a lot better, too.

This is a good idea for limited budget with no potential upgrade anytime soon - in short, grab amped 580 and run far away from here.
580smile.gif

Dec 29, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #19 of 27
In the owner's manual of the HD650 it is stated quite explicitly that:

Quote:

Can be directly connected to stationary hifi-components of the highest quality, in particular SACD, DVD-A and CD players.

So there. Directly. No mention of a need for a separate headphone amplifier (nor vinyl, thank god
icon10.gif
).

Regards,

L.

Dec 29, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leporello

So there. Directly. No mention of a need for a separate headphone amplifier (nor vinyl, thank god
icon10.gif
).

Regards,

L.

Leporello, yes, that's true, but I don't think they meant portable mp3 players. I can run the HD650s directly from the Denon DCP-150 with great results but not straight from the ipod.

Dec 29, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #21 of 27
I'm still looking for a magical way the 650s in my cd players with no headphone outs.

As to the original posters question, I don't know think the Ipod will be able to power the HD650. But I don't think you absolutely need a standalone headphone amp. If you have a stereo or home theater receiver with a headphone output, chances are it will be sufficient to power the HD650s.

Quote:

icon10.gif
).

Regards,

L.

Dec 29, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

icon10.gif
).

Regards,

L.

They probably mean stationary players with a headphone jack, which basically is a built-in headphone amplifier, usually consisting of a few resistors and a lousy potentiometer.

Since I don't have an amp at the moment and my cd player does not have a built-in headphone amp, I am driving my Hd 650 using the rca out of my cd player and a rca-to-1/4(female) cable. However, I don't think this is what Sennheiser meant because the direct path method depends on the player's output impedance and the impedance of the headphones. Further, in the long term it is actually possible to damage to the line out as it is not designed to drive an actual load. I had to ask the builder of my player whether this would harm the player.
My player has an output impedance of 500Ohm. Therefore, there is a shift in the frequency response, especially noticeable in the rather sloppy bass. The overall sound is unspectacular yet, I dare say, true to the source (save for the bass issues).

Dec 29, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Can be directly connected to stationary hifi-components of the highest quality, in particular SACD, DVD-A and CD players.

Hmmm ... coincidentally current players almost always lack this needed feature called headphone jack. =) And don't forget the 'highest quality' disclaimer there.
wink.gif

Saint panda, internal amp of old players are comparable to cmoy type amp, while resistor ones were coming off power amp section from integrated amp / receiver.

Btw anybody with old denon 1500 cdp may vouch for its phones jack's output which capable of deafening average people. A phone amp may indeed be redundant with this beast.

Dec 29, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Saint panda, internal amp of old players are comparable to cmoy type amp, while resistor ones were coming off power amp section from integrated amp / receiver.

Yes, you're right. I mixed up a few things here
wink.gif

Dec 29, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
And don't forget the 'highest quality' disclaimer there.
wink.gif

Ah, yes. There are at least two possible and (differing) interpretations of that disclaimer.

1. The HD650 is good enough to be connected directly (whatever that means) to even the highest quality equipment.

2. Only the highest quality equipment is good enough to be connected directly (whatever that means) to HD650.

For some reason I suspect Sennheiser mean the former. Ok, enough of hair-splitting...
cool.gif

Btw, I purchased a Denon DCD-685 only a couple of weeks ago. It has a very loud heaphone jack indeed. The clockwise scale from 7 AM to 5 PM is only usable to about 8:30 AM.

Regards,

L.

Dec 29, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Ah, yes. There are at least two possible and (differing) interpretations of that disclaimer.

1. The HD650 is good enough to be connected directly (whatever that means) to even the highest quality equipment.

2. Only the highest quality equipment is good enough to be connected directly (whatever that means) to HD650.

For some reason I suspect Sennheiser mean the former. Ok, enough of hair-splitting...
cool.gif

Btw, I purchased a Denon DCD-685 only a couple of weeks ago. It has a very loud heaphone jack indeed. The clockwise scale from 7 AM to 5 PM is only usable to about 8:30 AM.

Regards,

L.

If that's what they meant they were being a little over-enthusiastic, me thinks...
If you heard my mini via HD650s unamped you'd change your mind...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back