HD650 w/eddie current or G Lite-PSU?
Jan 27, 2006 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TR909

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been slowly ascending the ladder to audio satisfaction with my 650's and need to move on to the next rung. I'm currently driving them with a headphile woodied Headsave Classic w/627 opamps and am suffering from too much lushness and not enough detail. I expected this as I've read the 627's aren't the best match for the 650s. I'm now looking at the Gilmore Lite with the dedicated PSU and the new Eddie Current EC-01. Anyone care to share some thoughts on these amps or anything else in the same price range? I listen to everything but lots of indie rock, world folk music, and jamaican dub. My recordings range from pristine well recorded vinyl and aflac to 128 aac files so something not so unforgiving would be great.

Jan 27, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 8
Both will do nicely. However bear in mind that the EC-01 is at introductory pricing and may represent a better value to you hopefully. Also you possibly can tube roll the EC01 to bias the sound to were you want it to be, as far as sound goes.
tongue.gif

Jan 27, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TR909
I'm currently driving them with a headphile woodied Headsave Classic w/627 opamps and am suffering from too much lushness and not enough detail.

First dump the woodies if you find them too lush. Then of your choices grab the Lite. Its clarity and speed will trim the lush. No need for the PSU though unless you want more bass, sounds like you don't.

Jan 27, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 8
Reread your post, if its the amp thats woodied ignore the comment
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 8
Heh, yes it is indeed the amp that is woodied
tongue.gif
and I'm definitely keeping it as it's one of a kind and I know it'll match up well with more upfront cans, perhaps a grado in the future.

Jan 27, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 8
I've had an opportunity to hear both at the So Cal meet a few weeks ago. Yet during the past week I've spent some quite listening time in the comfort of my home with the EC-01.

Both amps are fine contenders and at there respective price points really great values. I know it's probably impossible, but it would be ideal to hear them both back-to-back before you decide.

In an overly generalized sense these are the terms that stick out in my mind about the EC-01; its musical has punch and slam, and voices and instruments sound whole, which probably has to do with the tubes. In a similar fashion the things that stayed with me about my brief time with the Gilmore Lite are that it’s somewhat more neutral and balance, which is a very good thing. Yet it also had impressive presentation, highs and lows, clarity, separation, and speed, which goes to its solid state design. However, the things mentioned about the EC-01 could be said about the Gilmore Lite and vice verse since both are very good amps.

Craig Uthus of Eddie Current and Justin Wilson of Headamp make fine amps and I believe you would be very happy with either one, but nothing compares to listening to them with your own ears and gear. I know that before I heard an amp I had a perceived notion of what I thought the sound I was looking for should sound like based on my reading and perceived personal preferences, which in reality vary a little more than slightly from what I had originally thought.

Jan 27, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 8
Would it be possible to brown dog some 8610s and replace the 627's?

Are the 627's socketed in your amp?

Jan 28, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 8
unfortunately Larry from Headphile sealed the case shut with glue and I don't want to damage the finish attempting to open it so it stays sealed. I wouldn't want to mod it anyway as it's the perfect amp to fall asleep to with the 650s and it'll be a nice change of pace when I get my new amp. I am interested in the G-Lite because it's an op-ampless design and I'm looking for an entirely different sound than I have now. I also want the EC-01 as it would be my first foray into tubeland and tuberolling would be fun. I could still do this with a scott nixon tubedac and the G-lite though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back