HD650 vs HE400 vs HP200 ??
Nov 16, 2013 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

lubeless

New Head-Fier
Here's the thing,  I've been shopping for a good (if not great) pair of headphones for a while now.  My criterias are SQ, reliability, and price.  comfort is also to keep in mind.  I read tens of reviews, articles, thread etc. but its I cant find a review that compares them to each other (probably because they are different and from different price ranges).

Here are the 3 openbacks that I have in mind:

Sennheiser HD650 - 500$ (in canada), but its a well known, reliable brand and I can buy it in store
Hifiman HE400 - 400$ + shipping and  possibly duty fees, chinese made, but its planar orthodynamics (which is cool)
Soundmagic HP200 - 270$ (shipping included to canada, but there might still be duty charges), chinese, ridiculous name, not a lot of info/reviews

Can anyone help me make my choice?  Im looking forward to hooking it up to a Magni + Modi stack...(but im willing to change my mind on the matter)

I listen to a wide range of genres, from soft and intimate indie rock to greasy dubstep.  I also like EDM, metal, alternative, acoustic music, rap etc. i listen to pretty much everything (not the use the word ''anything'')...

So what would you go for, and why?

Nov 16, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 14
Probably he400.

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #6 of 14
Being ortho phones but affordable, fun sounding, awesome soundstage (compared to Bose onear and K240 mk II and various in ear phones), even E 17 can drive them. I am glad that I bought them.
You may also wanna look this thread, http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread

Nov 16, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 14
Because its good and seem to pair fairly well with the genres you listed. Dunno much about the hp200

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 14
Best of luck, it's a very subjective hobby

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #12 of 14
Im thinking magni + modi via usb... im very open to suggestions for desktop amp... tubes seem appealing though, i dont know yet. What amp, dac combo do you recommend?

That depends on your budget.  Schiit says that the Magni will drive both the HD 650 and HE 400 (and HE 500).  I'm old school (SACD's, CD's, vinyl, etc.), so I almost never use a stand alone DAC.  Others will have to help you with that.

I prefer the HD 650 over the HE 400.  The major reason is that mids of the HE 400 are ever so slightly funky--not neutral and not natural.  However, the Senn might not be fast enough for EDM.  If they can fit in your budget, the HE 500 is what you should consider.  You would be well served to read more all of them here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

BTW: the sound stages of the Senn and two HiFiman cans are not especially large for open cans.  I hear them all as about medium size to upper medium size for their class.

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #13 of 14
Reason why I suggested he400 is because you don't seem to care too much for neutral sound based on the genres you listed.

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #14 of 14
Reason why I suggested he400 is because you don't seem to care too much for neutral sound based on the genres you listed.
yeah actually since I listen to a lot of genres (not only what i listed) , i should consider having some pretty neutral, all rounder, headphones. I do need bass but im not a "basshead", i just need depth. It also has to be clear but not sparkly, since that would be an issue with a few genres i have in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back