HD650 Veil is becomming annoying...
Oct 26, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob80b
If you want the bass without a veil it's called SR325i.

"If you want bass without the veil (and ears bleeding) it's called SR325i!

Actually... you can get that either from the SR225's, RS-2's, and RS-1's, or even the HD650's with the right tweaks, the Zu cable, and the right setup.

Oct 26, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2
"If you want bass without the veil (and ears bleeding) it's called SR325i!

Actually... you can get that either from the SR225's, RS-2's, and RS-1's, or even the HD650's with the right tweaks, the Zu cable, and the right setup.

Well i've noticed the HD650 is extreemly sensitive to changes in a setup. Even something as simple as a radio makes a world of difference.

Btw is the ESI Juli@ soundcard any good? It seems resonably priced imo. Btw Gradofan what is that MF X10 v3 actually for?

Oct 26, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #33 of 47
HD580/600/650 are very sensitive to the system. You need to feed them good souces, proper amplifiers and cables.

Oct 26, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrupt^
Btw is the ESI Juli@ soundcard any good? It seems resonably priced imo. Btw Gradofan what is that MF X10 v3 actually for?

Juli@ has nice synergy with HD650. It was a huge improvement from the xfi.

Oct 27, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrupt^
Well i've noticed the HD650 is extreemly sensitive to changes in a setup. Even something as simple as a radio makes a world of difference.

It's sorta like "magic" - the X10 v3 Tube Buffer helps make the MF stuff (XDAC v3, XCAN v3, etc.) sound a bit more "tubey" - warmer, more texture and tone body, a bit more "euphonics," etc. I suppose it would do much the same for other "SS" sounding stuff as well. The MF stuff all has a fairly "SS" sound, and needs something like a tube buffer to please those who want more of a tube sound. It does help achieve a bit more of that "tube" sound.

There are quite a lot of reviews on the net of the MF Small X Series components - which can provide you a more complete explanation / evaluation.

Oct 27, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
For the HD650, you want a decent source (before you even start thinking of "the veil"
wink.gif
). And possibly a more synergic and resolving amp than the stock X-CAN V3, too. Or why not try PinkFloyd's mods on it - but firstly, get yourself a decent CD player or something.

Ya!

Oct 27, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #37 of 47
I'll also chime in that the 650 is very sensitive to source, amp, & cables. In fact the cable alone can make a dramatic difference with more upscale equiptment. I have both a Headphile BlackSilver, & BlackGold cable... both sound very different with the 650 in my system.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonance
Eventually I plan to go full balanced, maybe with a GS-X, because some of the balanced 650s I've heard sounded better than my setup.

You can certainly do a lot worse than that combo.
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #38 of 47
I have never heard the veil of the 650's unless there is something wrong up stream and then it is just the 650's revealing what was going on. I am well aware of veil or the dirty window description of systems and have worked on and built preamp and amps and I know I can not stand the sound when it is veiled but the 650's for me, present none of this. I also do not get the bass heavy sound or hump that some talk about. They aren't perfect but I know of no headphone or speaker system that is. For that matter no concert hall is and the sound of an instrument changes with humidity and temperature and so on.

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #39 of 47
From the responses I always read in these threads I always get the idea that the HD650s are INCREDIBLY picky about their source/amp and are very revealing...yet aren't they known to be rather dark/warm headphones? Is there any reason as to why it seems that you have to be a lot more picky with the HD650s (Why so many people point out that the reason why someone likely doesn't like the sound is due to a poor source, amp, cables, etc.), but now as much with other headphones (SAx000 series, electrostats, etc.)? It might just be the high occurrence of these threads, but I always found this interesting.

Based on your findings I'm guessing that the your radio's DAC is very bright and that your X-Fi's DAC is rather dark in comparison, so your results aren't surprising. If you want to keep the HD650s but want to remove the veil, then you should consider looking into bright sources and/or amps (Solid state sources/amps). The Zhaolu D2C is bright (And I've read that the D2A is even brighter), so you might want to check that out. I forget who it was, but I remember someone being very enthusiastic about the performance of the Stello DA100 DAC (and its amp counterpart) completely removing the veil on his/her Senns. I'd look into that as well.

Oh, and I believe some people also do a sort of "quarter" mod (Though I believe it's called something else and requires a different sized hole) with Senns to open them up a bit. IIRC, you just basically cut a hole in the cloth that covers the driver frame, resulting in a less muffled sound.

Oct 27, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #40 of 47
Hell, on the cheap, try a good PPA with a nice source. Synergy isn't always expensive.

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Hell, on the cheap, try a good PPA with a nice source. Synergy isn't always expensive.

I'd say that synergy ought to be inexpensive rather than expensive - at least outside head-fi
tongue.gif

Besides, I'd say that synergy is more often than not an entirely casual finding (especially as it involves you as a particular listener, primarily).

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:44 AM Post #42 of 47
Before you buy another amp,dac,or maybe headphones...take some of your mp3's and encode them to lossless files.Try that,it's not a huge difference in sound but does help. Also,If I owned your amp,I would definitely seek out the Pink Floyd mod.I've done similar mods to my various pieces of stereo equipment and it really does open the door to better resolution soundwize.

I just purchased a dac and let me tell ya....it certainly helps !

Oct 27, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #43 of 47
Source, SOurce, SOurce.

I use a CD63KI, which is a nice source compared to any vanilla PC >> XCANv2 >> 650

But I still think the 63 is the weakest part. An integrated Radio/CD, computer without a DAC is clearly the weak link in your system

Oct 27, 2006 at 10:22 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
What veil?

In the UK, our politicians have been getting into trouble for even discussing the veil.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/worldhave..._comments.html

I may have misunderstood, but I think this should be the policy here too
evil_smiley.gif

(this is meant to be tongue in cheek and I sincerely hope no one takes any offense as absolutely none is intended. I am ambivalent about the Muslim veil, being too obsessed with arguing the merits of grado/sennheiser and the 600/650 debate! Sadly I hear little media coverage of this. Really, get some perspective people)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back