HD650 upgraded cable...which one?
Jul 26, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #77 of 87
I also prefer copper cables and do not like the brightness or metallic quality of silver cables. However, the APS cable is the only copper/silver hybrid cable I've heard which manages to avoid the problems with silver, and has the warmth of copper cables with the detail of silver. I think it is a lot better than the Equinox (although that is still a good cable) and have recently sold my Equinox.

Jul 26, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #79 of 87
APS and Zu, both use silver/copper hybrid. Pure copper does not work that well with HD650 (stock is copper btw), take Cardas for instance, it's much more appreciated with HD600 due to its brighter nature.
You want to lift some veil from HD650, go for Zu or APS.

Jul 27, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #80 of 87
If we're on the subject, can someone please give his appreciation for his HD600 cable replacement ?
I'm buying one to go with the iBasso D1.
BTW I really didn't like the iBasso with my HD595/CARDAS

Aug 5, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #81 of 87
Do any manufacturers make copper cables using PCOCC copper? I generally prefer the sound of the copper cables to the sound to the silver cables I auditioned at our last regional meet. Still looking to replace stock 650 cable with a 6ft upgraded cable. I think just shortening the cable may be an improvement. I'm driving the 650's with a wooaudio6.

Aug 5, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #82 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoAv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If we're on the subject, can someone please give his appreciation for his HD600 cable replacement ?
I'm buying one to go with the iBasso D1.
BTW I really didn't like the iBasso with my HD595/CARDAS

Did you see this? HD650 upgraded cable...which one? - Page 3 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/hd...nd#post4352211

PS: a lot of my listening that convinced me to upgrade cables, prior to buying the Dark voice amp in the review, was done with my iBasso D1 with upgraded opamps.

Aug 5, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #84 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you see this? HD650 upgraded cable...which one? - Page 3 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

HD650 upgraded cable...which one? - Page 5 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

PS: a lot of my listening that convinced me to upgrade cables, prior to buying the Dark voice amp in the review, was done with my iBasso D1 with upgraded opamps.

What other upgrades have you tried ?
Would you recommend to upgrade my current CARDAS to fit the 600 ?

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #85 of 87
Quote:

What other upgrades have you tried ?

Other than the APureSound V3 cable? I have not had all the cables on hand at the same time, so I can't compare all of them directly, only some of them.

The ALO Audio 18g Jenna Labs Cryo was excellent with the HD600 and left nothing to be desired except for wishing for a lower price tag, so I couldn't afford to buy the demo cable, although I would have if I could have afforded it. It was very clear, detailed and transparent, while at the same time giving more warmth and body (or solidity) to the instruments due to a boost in the bass over stock HD600/650 cables. I found no faults with this cable, which should be the case for $385. The flexibility was good, but I think a 22g Jenna Labs Cryo is easier to handle than 18g.

The ALO Audio Vampire wire cable was also an upgrade to the stock HD600 and HD650 cable, but it could not approach the Jenna Labs cryo cable in transparency when I was able to briefly compare the Jenna Labs vs Vampire with my HD600. A longer comparison with the two cables on two pair of HFI-780 confirmed my earlier findings, with the Jenna Labs Cryo from ALO Audio being superior.

The Moon Audio Silver Dragon was quite nice in detail and transparency, and is probably 95% of the APS cable, with just the ever so slightest decrease in warmth in the mids and bass that took me a while to hear. A definite upgrade to the stock HD600 and HD650 cable on the HD600, and very close to the APS cable. I still prefer the APS V3 cable (I have three APS V3 cables for my HD600 -> 4 foot 1/8" plug, 6 foot 1/4" plug, 8 foot balanced).

My first upgrade cable was the cryotreated Moon Audio Black Dragon, which unfortunately was a little brighter but harsher in the highs, and did not seem to bring out the bass or warmth that I wanted. Since Senns&nonsense who sold them to me had "de-foamed" his HD600 (or 650, I forget) he found that black dragon too bright as well. I would rank this one at the bottom, but still better than the HD600 cable. In some ways I preferred the HD650 cable on my HD600 than the cryo'd black dragon, despite the increased detail, and I would switch back and forth. Then after reading all the good things about the APureSound cables I bought the my first 4 foot APS V3 cable used and compared the two directly, and the APS was superior in every way.

Quote:

Would you recommend to upgrade my current CARDAS to fit the 600 ?

Don't know, I have never heard the Cardas.

Aug 6, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #86 of 87
Wow, thank you for that "HeadphoneAddict", great review of the cables.
It is hard to pick a cable, not because of the diversity, rather then the fact that you can't hear them all, unless you buy and switch around quickly.

I've heard the same about the Black Dragon, which is now out of my list.
The CARDAS is still obscure, I've found some posting saying it's the best for the 600, but nothing decisive. I might give it a go, and try first to upgrade it since I don't think I can sell it for a good price. Generally it upgraded my 595, but with the D1 as an amp it lost allot of bass, and made it way too bright. I still suspect the D1 being faulty, after so many opamp rolling.

Aug 6, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #87 of 87
Having tried the Zu Mobius v1, Cardas, RAL and Equinox cables with both HD600and HD650, my personal favourites are as such:

HD600 : Equinox, with Cardas a close second

HD650 : RAL, with Equinox a close second

Some of my thoughts of these dferent cables posted earlier:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/sin...3/index12.html

Ultimately, cables choices are usually a reflection of partnering equipment and listening preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back