HD650 upgrade path
Apr 9, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #16 of 30
Remember that the 650s are so comfortable and light because of that plastic. Perhaps they're no Fostex TH900, but overall they're so good all around. I must admit I do like how the HD800S feel oh so premium in comparison though :)

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #17 of 30
No headphone I've heard has similar sound and balance of the HD650.  LCD2 comes close, while having much better bass.  It's also way less comfortable.  Because of that I would consider it a sidegrade or downgrade.

I have not heard the Atticus, but supposedly it's a similar sound. The new Focal Elear was said to have a sound like the HD650, but it sounds nothing alike. 

You probably won't find a pure upgrade to the HD650.  The only thing that will probably be an upgrade is if you find a certain coloration that you deem better.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #18 of 30
Upgrades from HD650 are harder than they seem. I'd maybe try to get a listen to ZMF Eikon, see if they suit. Listen, not buy!

In your setup, I'd consider a DAC upgrade first. The 4490 DAC inside the Jotunheim isn't that great. I'd consider a better DAC, and a low-jitter SPDIF source to feed it (maybe homebrew Pi-based if you're trying to keep costs down). 

Better headphones are going to be held back by your DAC. Hell, your current headphones will keep scaling with amps that cost ten times more, too. I'd consider these factors carefully before throwing money at it. Even the standard HD650 mods would give you a nice sonic upgrade for almost no cost, too.

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #19 of 30

good advice. Since posting this I actually went and bought an LCD2.... Im happy with the sound but like I was warned... Its not gonna blow anyone away that already has a 650. Im gonna stop spending money on headphones and look at investing in a DAC and better recordings. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #20 of 30
  Upgrades from HD650 are harder than they seem. I'd maybe try to get a listen to ZMF Eikon, see if they suit. Listen, not buy!

In your setup, I'd consider a DAC upgrade first. The 4490 DAC inside the Jotunheim isn't that great. I'd consider a better DAC, and a low-jitter SPDIF source to feed it (maybe homebrew Pi-based if you're trying to keep costs down). 

Better headphones are going to be held back by your DAC. Hell, your current headphones will keep scaling with amps that cost ten times more, too. I'd consider these factors carefully before throwing money at it. Even the standard HD650 mods would give you a nice sonic upgrade for almost no cost, too.

good advice. Since posting this I actually went and bought an LCD2.... Im happy with the sound but like I was warned... Its not gonna blow anyone away that already has a 650. Im gonna stop spending money on headphones and look at investing in a DAC and better recordings. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #21 of 30
http://www.head-fi.org/t/821782/atticus-and-eikon-the-new-dynamic-driver-headphones-from-zmf

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #22 of 30

Did you try the HD 800S? I had them and they were a combo of the HD 650s warmth and HD 800s resolution. They are very comfortable and also not heavy as the LCDs.

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #23 of 30
Why do people always assume headphones have an upgrade path? Some do yes but when you get to the HD650, HD800 level you really are looking at different flavours.  

I've never heard another headphone with the HD650's resolution and cohesive response and smooth treble. I've heard headphones that do resolve better like the HD800 which I own but they also have a rough treble with a large peak and they don't have the upper mid balance of the HD650.

I've had headphones like the LCD-2 and LCD-3, cleaner bass, but don't have the dynamic punch and impact of the HD650 and they are not as resolving and smooth in the treble  as the HD650.

Apr 28, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #25 of 30
Is there any sub €1000 headphones that could be considered a clear upgrade to the HD650s?
Nope

If you want an upgrade you should probably upgrade your DAC and Amps with the HD650 to take them to the next level. If you want an upgrade in micro detail, resolution, speed then maybe look into the HD800 but you will lose out on tone, balance and musicality.

May 2, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #26 of 30
What about the TH-X00s or Emu Teaks? Both under 1k and seem like they'd be in the same vein of the HD650s...if you can spring for it though, the HD800s are end game quality headphones and will just leave your jaw on the floor with tracks you are currently enjoying with the HD650s.

May 3, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #28 of 30
What about the TH-X00s or Emu Teaks? Both under 1k and seem like they'd be in the same vein of the HD650s...if you can spring for it though, the HD800s are end game quality headphones and will just leave your jaw on the floor with tracks you are currently enjoying with the HD650s.

TH-X00 sounds nothing like the HD650/HD6XX. I have both and am planning on keeping both. They sound quite different and I pick one or the other depending on my mood and what I am listening to. I think they complement each other well. To my ears the HD6XX sounds better overall, but the bass on the TH-X00 is something else.

May 3, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #29 of 30
I have an audioquest dragonfly, an Xduoo xd05, and Schiit jotunheim with balanced DAC (90% of my listening is on the jotunheim now)

Here's your upgrade path:

DAC: Gumby or Yggy
Amp: ZDS

Now if you want to try a different headphone that doesn't really sound like the 650, there are many options. If you want to basically get a better 650 though, then the best thing to do is feed your 650 better gear, it scales like mad.

May 3, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #30 of 30
My suggestion would be the HE-560's. I hardly listen to my HD650's anymore...and I really enjoy the HD650's.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back