HD650 upgrade path
Feb 1, 2017 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

i am ralph

100+ Head-Fier
HD650 - balanced

Is my favorite headphone. Is there anyone else out there who adores this thing like me, and wants to move onto another set of cans but can't find anything worthy?

He400i was a sidegrade... i like it for electronic music but, doesn't provide the enjoyment of the HD650 and I feel like the mids are missing, bought a balanced cable for it and it doesn't seem to scale well into balanced mode, also find it fatiguing.... not as much as my grados but still.

I am considering the offerings from ZMF (although spending 1,000 on a t50rp mod makes me sick, even though i have the t50rpmk3 and i like them, don't love them, but i like them), considering the elear, considering the LCD2, considering thx00 (not sure why as I've heard they are V shaped)

What's out there that has that liquid sepia hued beautiful detailed and enjoyable sound of the HD650. If these things were made of premium materials (wood and metals) I don't even think id be looking to spend more money, but as it stands i don't want plastic headphones anymore god dammit I'm an adult.

cheers!
ralph

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 30
What DAC and headphone amplifier are you currently using?

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 30

I have an audioquest dragonfly, an Xduoo xd05, and Schiit jotunheim with balanced DAC (90% of my listening is on the jotunheim now)

hell you're good to go Ralph, that should cover most anything except electro's.  Elears are a good start, at least take a look and hear them BEFORE you buy them, nighthawks, beyer T1 2nd edition all the same, just a slight bump up. But when you get comfy with a headphone, it's really tough to find another that will just blow you away without making your wallet into moth material.  Good luck!

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 30
Improving on the 650's is definitely not going to be cheap. Did you have a budget in mind?

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #8 of 30
I don't see myself spending more than 2,000 on headphones and maybe a little more for a balanced cable if I can't make it myself. That would be top of the mark. Thoughts?

So are you just looking to improve the sound signature? What I mean is the 650's are uber comfortable and quite hard to match in that regard. I find the Ether series to sound wonderful and are amazingly comfortable, but I have an issue with the price point. Spending more than $1,000.00 on a headphone is something I really can't justify, so I generally stay away from the big dollar stuff. The Elear is really quite special and on my list of acquisitions. The LCD's are really good, but I can't get past the lack of comfort I have while wearing them. At your price point you have try and listen to the HD 800S, they are really quite good. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #9 of 30
So are you just looking to improve the sound signature? What I mean is the 650's are uber comfortable and quite hard to match in that regard. I find the Ether series to sound wonderful and are amazingly comfortable, but I have an issue with the price point. Spending more than $1,000.00 on a headphone is something I really can't justify, so I generally stay away from the big dollar stuff. The Elear is really quite special and on my list of acquisitions. The LCD's are really good, but I can't get past the lack of comfort I have while wearing them. At your price point you have try and listen to the HD 800S, they are really quite good. 
Thanks for your input, I think what I'm trying to get is something that feels premium and isn't made of plastic. I haven't heard the hd800s and I think that I'm going to put it on my radar along with the elear which I also haven't heard. Don't really have a way to audition the elear I may have to purchase it and send it back if I don't like it. I think I'm just struggling since as a hobbyist you always want that next great thing, and to be honest the sound quality of the hd650 leaves me wanting for nothing.... it's the build quality that leaves me wanting more, I also find the clamp a bit much but the fit in the ear is perfect. Serious "first world problems" over here. I think I may just need to enjoy the music instead of constantly wishing I had cool boutique looking cans like the newest line from mrspeakers or even the AUDEZE stuff which I think looks substantial. I think the LCD3 sound great but at 2k plus tax plus a hundred for a balanced cable plus a record of driver failure puts me in territory I'm uncomfortable with.

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 30
Thanks for your input, I think what I'm trying to get is something that feels premium and isn't made of plastic. I haven't heard the hd800s and I think that I'm going to put it on my radar along with the elear which I also haven't heard. Don't really have a way to audition the elear I may have to purchase it and send it back if I don't like it. I think I'm just struggling since as a hobbyist you always want that next great thing, and to be honest the sound quality of the hd650 leaves me wanting for nothing.... it's the build quality that leaves me wanting more, I also find the clamp a bit much but the fit in the ear is perfect. Serious "first world problems" over here. I think I may just need to enjoy the music instead of constantly wishing I had cool boutique looking cans like the newest line from mrspeakers or even the AUDEZE stuff which I think looks substantial. I think the LCD3 sound great but at 2k plus tax plus a hundred for a balanced cable plus a record of driver failure puts me in territory I'm uncomfortable with.

Ah Okay now I gotcha, then definitely the Elears fit the your desire, and the Mr. Speakers, well I just love them. The Audeze I can't recommend, just because of some of the challenges they have had, and the near impossibility of knowing which version you are actually listening to. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #11 of 30
Dude, honestly.... If you have a pair of hd650s and they're powered properly? Don't even waste your time with any of this other stuff. The hd650 is very very very good. Their main weakness is their resolution(compared to other multihundred dollar sets).
You want a true upgrade that you won't be disappointed with? Just grab a pair of Stax and ascend to audio godhood. You can get an """""entry""""" level setup for 800
https://staxusa.com/system/stax-srs-3100.html
Cheaper than a pair of hd800! and you get a sick amp to power any other electrostats to boot

And honestly I only say entry because it's the cheapest. By this point there's really nothing else you can achieve as you're already getting nearly perfect playback.

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #12 of 30
Dude, honestly.... If you have a pair of hd650s and they're powered properly? Don't even waste your time with any of this other stuff. The hd650 is very very very good. Their main weakness is their resolution(compared to other multihundred dollar sets).

You want a true upgrade that you won't be disappointed with? Just grab a pair of Stax and ascend to audio godhood. You can get an """""entry""""" level setup for 800
https://staxusa.com/system/stax-srs-3100.html

Cheaper than a pair of hd800! and you get a sick amp to power any other electrostats to boot

And honestly I only say entry because it's the cheapest. By this point there's really nothing else you can achieve as you're already getting nearly perfect playback.

That's good feedback. I think you may be onto something. I've never heard the lambda headphones. It may be time.

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #13 of 30
Excellent suggestion, I just can't handle the comfort of the Stax. They do sound incredible.

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #14 of 30
The new ones are ever so slightly easier to modify and put normal pads on. If you don't mind MacGyvering stuff there are pretty much no drawbacks besides having the portability of a squat rack...and looking like a dork.

When I get my own place and some extra cash they might just be my next step up from the hd650. For now I think I'll live with the sennheisers being powered by my mobo(built in soundblaster)

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #15 of 30
  The new ones are ever so slightly easier to modify and put normal pads on. If you don't mind MacGyvering stuff there are pretty much no drawbacks besides having the portability of a squat rack...and looking like a dork.

When I get my own place and some extra cash they might just be my next step up from the hd650. For now I think I'll live with the sennheisers being powered by my mobo(built in soundblaster)

Great point. I am going to look into this. Thanks Wafflezz!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back