HD650 setup - multiple options
Nov 5, 2010 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

add2music

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I am trying to complete my hd650 setup. Following are the options I am considering with a tight budget. I already have pico DAC/Amp which I am using with HD650 through USB of my macbook pro. I am thinking of getting a desktop amp setup ( either DAC/Amp or DAC + Amp )  with following options. Maximum Budget I have is $350. 

In the following options, Setup1 seems to have more flexibility where in I can buy Amp later.  Setup3 uses my Pico headphone out to Amp which may be glitch here. I dont want to go for Tubes. 

Can somebody help me understand which setup I can go for ? Or, Any other DAC / Amp setup I can get within my budget ? 

Setup1: 
DAC - Beresford Caiman ( $200 ) - buy now 
Amp-  Used M^3  ( $300-$400 ) - buy later 

Setup2:
DAC/Amp - Audio-Gd Fun ( $400 including shipping version A ) 

Setup3:
DAC/Amp - Pico ( already I have - using it with Sony X - um3x ) 
Amp - Used M^3 -( $300-$400 ) 

- Many Thanks 

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
NuForce HDP is an option at your budget.

Thanks for reply. I have read HDP's  synergy with hd650 will be good.  It costs $450 :).  

Any more opinions ?

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 9
I'm betting setup 2 or 3 would get best results. If it were me in your situation, I'd go for the M^3. The dac inside the pico is really good, you'll have a hard time beating it with another $300.00 -$400.00.

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for reply. Is it ok to get the HP out of PICO to M^3 ? Will it sound good without impact of PICO amp module in line ? 

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #8 of 9

Thanks for reply. Is it ok to get the HP out of PICO to M^3 ? Will it sound good without impact of PICO amp module in line ? 

It's absolutely fine to use the ho out of the pico as a line out source, just turn the volume all the way up.

I totally forgot about the Asgard. This I would recommend over the M^3.

Nov 7, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks Kobe/Fisherman. I have ordered asgard. Let me see the performance of Asgard with HD650+Pico DAC. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back