hd650 - scales like nothing before it!
Aug 22, 2008 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

adamus

500+ Head-Fier
my headphone history is pretty simple. in chronological order
alessandro ms1, equation rp-21, beyerdynamic 990 pro, hd 650

My current amp compliment
beresford dac (and headphone amp built in), millet starving student, soha, soha + expensive tube + jisbos buffer.

the alessandros sounded similar on each amp (but each had its own slight hint of presentation). The equations flat lines on each. The beyers sounds progressively better on each amp, some slight synergy with the millet maybe.

The hd650's?

beresford: not enough juice! the bass is lose, the treble is recessed (veiled)

millet: nice and warm, massive improvement on the beresford amp section, just seems more powerful.

soha: stronger bass, slightly over powering, treble slightly recessed. to my ears not as good as the millet with the 650's.

soha + expensive tube + jisbos buffers: unreal. I cannot fault the sound. Big bass where required, crystal clear treble (super detailed, left my ms1's lacking), cracking mids. I dont have a bad word against the hd650's and the jisbos combo. Its night and day between this amp and the soha on its own. no other headphone has conveyed the difference between these amps in quite so much stark contrast.

my opinion (and i state that it is only an opinion!) the hd650 veil is only there when poorly amplified.

I would also like to add, the beyers beat the hd650's on sound stage. It slightly sharper and paints a wider stage that the senns.

Aug 22, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my opinion (and i state that it is only an opinion!) the hd650 veil is only there when poorly amplified.

i agree.

and once you have proper amplification, the next step is to fine tune/improve the sound through an aftermarket cable.

Aug 22, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree.

and once you have proper amplification, the next step is to fine tune/improve the sound through an aftermarket cable.

Agreed with both of you. Although you lost me as soon as I read "Beresford", lol...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back