HD650 repair??
Jul 17, 2010 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Bryon

New Head-Fier
I'm having some problem with my Senn HD650's.  The left channel connection is intermittent [often non-existent] unless I physically push the cable end into the phone with some force and hold it there.  I'm using a cardas cable but I don't think it is at fault as both right and left male connectors work in the right channel phone connection while neither works in the left.  It seems as if the female phone connection is too far recessed in the casing to make proper contact. 

Can anyone tell me how to go about taking the casing apart so I can access the connections? 

I've just built a Bottlehead Crack amp with the Speedball upgrade and although it sounds wonderful with my back up cans [an old pair of Sony CD350s from years ago] I would love to be able to listen to the HD650's with it.

thanks in advance for any instructions or suggestions.

Bryon

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 11
do you have the warranty?

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 11
Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies

No, the warranty has run out and  I no longer have the stock cables as I was so happy with the Cardas cable that I sold the stock ones right after.

Bryon

Jul 17, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 11
Do you have any cabling skills? The hd650 headphone terminations are purchasable online, so if you or anyone you know can solder than just order a replacement plug kit.

Edit- oops after rereading that I realized its not the cable.... sorry

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 11
How much would Sennheiser charge if one were to just send it in without a warranty?

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 11
According to Sennheiser USA page repair form part its says $64.95 for repair.
But there is other little notes it might cost even more even up to half the MSRP.
And other little fees for other things.

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 11
Search the forums - friendly Sennheiser users have showed how to tighten the springs the connectors enter into (HD 580, 600, 650 and a many others), thus solving the problem.

You need good eyesight and a delicate touch, however.

Jul 17, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 11
Go here:  http://www.pbase.com/jeepy206/580_intermittency_repairs

I used the instructions and it worked perfectly, fixing the exact problem you describe.

Jul 17, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:

I used the instructions and it worked perfectly, fixing the exact problem you describe.

Thanks so much for the link - I followed the instructions and my HD-650's are now stereo headphones again and singing beautifully.

Thanks everyone for their efforts

Bryon

Jul 17, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:

Thanks very much for the link - I followed the instructions and my HD-650's are now singing beautifully in stereo once more.

I appreciate the support that the members of this forum have offered.   Thanks to everyone for their ideas.

Bryon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back