HD650 questions
Oct 17, 2008 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

canbus

Head-Fier
Greetings.

I Just got a set of senn hd650's delivered. So far I like the sound and imo out of the box they sound better than my goldring dr150's. Im listening to words and sounds vol 1 by jill scott. Muddy, muddy bass. Will this improve with burn in?

Im hoping to have a darkvoice 336i delivered. How much of difference will this amp make to the sound quality? Im currently using a beresford tc7510 DAC headphone out.

Thanks!

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #2 of 11
Good amp should fix things up for you. Im not familiar with your dac but it sounds like it has a rather small headphone circuit tacked on. The 650s will shape up with that new tube amp, have no fear. Tube rolling may play a part in that as well.

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks oldblueyez.

The bass (can I call it that?) is bloated manure. Its as if someone has cranked the bass up on my amp. To my ears its not tight controlled bass, nor boomy, just over bloated. Veil? I have the phones burning in via the headphone out on my low fi rotel ra 04 stereo amp. Switching between speakers (clarity 8's) and hd650's was a revelation. At this point in time, my crappy low fi smokes the hd650's. HUGE difference.

Thats my observations so far (not conclusions). I hope the burning in period + amp transforms these phones. Imo they sound awesome with vinyl though. Time to wheel my DR 150's out of retirement...

Thanks.

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #4 of 11
Yes, the burn-in is very long with such products. At first, it's bad.
But yes the 650 will always be a little veiled. What you gain in extension at both end of the spectrum, you loose it in the high mids, compared to the 600. But the 650 remains a good one anyway.

Oct 17, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 11
Things seem to be improving / im adjusting to the sound. Slightly sibilant but that should go away? They are more detailed than my dr-150's / sr 80's. I was watching sky news and could hear the echo of the presenting room. I've never heard that before. One of the guests was talking and I could hear the guests tongue sticking to the top of her mouth as she talked. Was also listening to some jazz earlier. These phones are ok. The perceived soundstage is much bigger that im used to. Sound seems to come from every direction, but that seems to be a rare occurence. Im much happier than I was before (sorry). Thats with only several hours burn in time. I think I can form a relationship with these phones. Im looking forward to hearing these amped and burnt in.

Should be good.

Thanks guys and sorry for being grim earlier.

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 11
When you get your Darkvoice, you will have the opportunity to roll some tubes and tailor the sound somewhat to your liking. My HD650s remain my reference cans.

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 11
I have justt listened to my Beresford through the headamp with my hd 650, and its a tad mushy, but through my DV 332 its a heavenly pair. When your new amp arrives you'll be amazed at the sq.

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have justt listened to my Beresford through the headamp with my hd 650, and its a tad mushy, but through my DV 332 its a heavenly pair. When your new amp arrives you'll be amazed at the sq.

hi BigTony. Thanks for taking the time out. What can be said? These phones are making more and more sense. Very smooth, agreeable & involving. I cant believe I went mental earlier in the thread. That said and imo, they sounded shocking earlier on. Not now though. Thats with circa 10 hours into the burn in time. The DV amp is being despatched on monday. I cant wait, but must wait.

Sorry if im not making much sense. Im having one of those moments (Jill scott 'sound and words vol 1' track 5)

My sincere thanks for helping a newbie out. That was kind & decent.

These phones...

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you get your Darkvoice, you will have the opportunity to roll some tubes and tailor the sound somewhat to your liking. My HD650s remain my reference cans.

NOS tube rolling. Just been reading about it. Happy times.

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Start here.

www.TubeWorld.com

Thanks very much
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back