HD650 or RS-1
Jun 6, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #16 of 21
I gotta agree with Morphie... and this is not the first time!

Had the opportunity of hearing the HD650 next to the SA5000 and AKG1000 the other night at Kunwar's through his benchmark DAC1. No contest... HD650 are not at the same level of detail as the other two sets of cans. The HD650 midrange sounded "smoothed over" to me, not revealing. Not unpleasant just not involving. Now sure, you can spend as much as you like trying to improve the HD650, if that's where you wish to go then maybe there is hope. But, straight out of the box the SA5000 beats them in detail and PRAT. The AKG are another beast altogether... mmmm, detail and balance. Nice.

Oh, by the way, the AKG501 were also there although I gave them only a little listening. These were to my ears better than the Sen HD650 for classical because of their ability to sound natural. Very impressive set of cans. Not overly full sounding bass but what is there is very tight. How did I miss these babies before? I'd go for these over the HD650 anytime.

Never had the RS-1s but had the MS-pros for a year. Great cans. Slight bass hump but once you get over that these cans are so good for rock... dynamic bass slam.

Ahh, plenty of interesting choices for all. Have fun deciding.

TonyAAA

Jun 6, 2005 at 1:41 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
The HD650 midrange sounded "smoothed over" to me, not revealing.

Aaargh
eek.gif
eek.gif
I can't believe my eyes. (please don't take it as an open provocation
tongue.gif
)
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
I gotta agree with Morphie... and this is not the first time!

So do I, my favorite grado's have been my woody SR-325's and the HP-2's that I've heard. I think the 325's have better resolution, especially in the midrange and bass than the RS-1's. Bass response isn't quite as tight as with the HP-2's, but comes very close to my HD650's, while the RS-1's have big, warm bass that can be fun, but I think less expensive grado's do better with it.

Jun 6, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #20 of 21
I started with the HD650, but that is partly because I liked the sound of lower end senn cans more than I liked the sound of low end grados. The only grados I heard were the 80's - one day I'll likely try grados again. But for now the 650 seems to me a great all around can. My ears had a hard time dealing with the ragged high frequencies on the 80. One thing to consider is there are so many 650 out there that if people own it they will compare them against it - sort of "a reference". If you are going to buy both in a short period, then it doesn't really matter where you start, if you think it might be some time between purchases then it is probably worth a trip to your local retailer to see what they have and how like their sound.

BTw you have a typo on your web site. I don't think neuros makes a
"20-800GB hard drive backpacks"
I think you have an extra zero there :wink: Afordable 800 GB portables are probably a few years away.

You probably want a dedicated headphone amp for either 650 or rs1. The 650 needs voltage - the grado needs current. Not many built in headphone jacks can provide enough clean power to enjoy either to their potential.

Jun 6, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #21 of 21
You answered your own question. You Want To Rock. Get the Grados! (first, that is - then when it's time for bed get the Senns muahaha...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back