HD650 or Power Cord. You decide
Aug 2, 2005 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Jasonharkin

100+ Head-Fier
Over the past few weeks I have been wheeling and dealing, in an attempt to create a dedicated headphone system. So far I have acquired a Jungson Moon Harbour disc player, an earmax pro, cardas cable for the hd650's and other interconnects etc. However I still need a power cord to replace the kettle leads supplied with the player and I still need to get my HD650's, however a problem has arosen. I have just been offered a Nordost vishnu power cord for £200, should I snap up this bargain or leave it be and get my HD650's. The thing is if I buy one the other would have to wait for a few weeks until pay day and possibly I will not get the Vishnus for such a great deal again. You decide Vishnu or HD650.

Aug 2, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 29
If you like the improvements it produces in your system (or a system you've heard), definitely go for the Vishnu at that price. New, it costs $600 here. As I recall, Roy Gregory loved the Nordost cord in a HiFi + review. The Senns can be had anywhere, anytime.

I've recently been using a PS Audio xStream Statement v3 cord in a Power Director 4.7 and it's got me thinking of replacing all my ESP Essence cords in my main rig. It's shocking how dramatic a difference a cord can make if you've got a system that will allow you to hear the subtle, but, extremely meaningful nuances that add to the listening experience.

Aug 2, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Wong
If you like the improvements it produces in your system (or a system you've heard), definitely go for the Vishnu at that price. New, it costs $600 here. As I recall, Roy Gregory loved the Nordost cord in a HiFi + review. The Senns can be had anywhere, anytime.

I've recently been using a PS Audio xStream Statement v3 cord in a Power Director 4.7 and it's got me thinking of replacing all my ESP Essence cords in my main rig. It's shocking how dramatic a difference a cord can make if you've got a system that will allow you to hear the subtle, but, extremely meaningful nuances that add to the listening experience.

I agree the Vishnu is a steal at that price and the reviews online imply that it is a worthwhile investment. I don't plan to have th senns that long either, I have just graduated from univeristy and been offered a few jobs. In the next six months or so I fancy checking out the new sony quaila headphones and the audio technica leather heads. I also plan to overhaul my entire setup, probably the only item that would be saved would be the Vishnu cable. Thanks for the reply.

Aug 3, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 29
The hd650s, no question. I fail to see how a $200 perfect power cable is going to make a difference when you have miles of crappy non-OFC copper from the powerstation to your house first. A power cable will not remove any noise.

The superspecialcable might add less noise than a regular $2 one but not anything that will be remotely measureable with all the background noise from the power lines.

Rob.

Aug 3, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzy
The hd650s, no question. I fail to see how a $200 perfect power cable is going to make a difference when you have miles of crappy non-OFC copper from the powerstation to your house first. A power cable will not remove any noise.

The superspecialcable might add less noise than a regular $2 one but not anything that will be remotely measureable with all the background noise from the power lines.

Rob.

Rob, I used to believe that but I was convinced this past weekend that a pc can make a significant difference. I too was a skeptic but I am telling you it was a night and day difference for me. I posted about in the XR-2 impression thread.

Aug 3, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Rob, I used to believe that but I was convinced this past weekend that a pc can make a significant difference. I too was a skeptic but I am telling you it was a night and day difference for me. I posted about in the XR-2 impression thread.

double blind it. should be an easy test to perform with a couple friends to help you.

Aug 3, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
double blind it. should be an easy test to perform with a couple friends to help you.

I don't think there would be a need, it wasn't a subtle difference. I have a hard time deciding between IC's. This was different. I didn't want the the more expensive pc to be better. I was happy with my computer and Quail pcs until Saturday.

Aug 3, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzy
Blind AB it and then i will beleive you. I cant argue with blind ABs.

Rob.

I will try to do it this weekend.

Aug 3, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #11 of 29
I certainly didn't want to immerse myself in the midst of a Cable Agnostics vs Cable Believers thread, but, I am very curious about something. For the people that don't believe power cords make a difference... do you just dismiss this outright based on what you think makes sense, or have you actually tried a good aftermarket cord in your system and listened firsthand?

Aug 3, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #12 of 29
Surely for 200 pound of $600 you can make or buy a a ciruit that charges a battery off the wall power and then powers your amp using the battery? Battery = clean, right?

even if that isn't cor rect, i'm CERTAIN there are better ways to clean your electricity then a $600 cable

Aug 3, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #14 of 29
This is an extremely easy choice for me (HD650), but I'm biased.

Quote:

I certainly didn't want to immerse myself in the midst of a Cable Agnostics vs Cable Believers thread, but, I am very curious about something. For the people that don't believe power cords make a difference... do you just dismiss this outright based on what you think makes sense, or have you actually tried a good aftermarket cord in your system and listened firsthand?

In my case, the latter, but I think it is worth noting that neither approach is genuinely superior to the other. The former means you have no specific experience, the latter means your preconceptions could be (and probably are) influencing the test. The best compromise, in my opinion, is to do a blind test-- that way you don't have to worry about your preconceptions screwing with the comparison, but you get to actually hear the two side by side.

Aug 3, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonharkin
Over the past few weeks I have been wheeling and dealing, in an attempt to create a dedicated headphone system. So far I have acquired a Jungson Moon Harbour disc player, an earmax pro, cardas cable for the hd650's and other interconnects etc. However I still need a power cord to replace the kettle leads supplied with the player and I still need to get my HD650's, however a problem has arosen. I have just been offered a Nordost vishnu power cord for £200, should I snap up this bargain or leave it be and get my HD650's. The thing is if I buy one the other would have to wait for a few weeks until pay day and possibly I will not get the Vishnus for such a great deal again. You decide Vishnu or HD650.

HD650
You are getting this stuff to listen to music, and for what it does the HD650 is one of the best for the money.
£200 for a frigging power cord? That's the sort of stuff that you throw at a completed system when you have money burning a hole in your pocket. Eye candy.
Quote:

Yes I have listened, and confirmed what logic tells me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back