HD650 or HE400? Or something else?
Apr 6, 2015 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GreenMachine

Head-Fier
I'm finally getting around to ordering a pair of headphones after months of dealing with life.

Last summer I ordered a pair of HE400's and loved them from the start. I used them for everything and could wear them for hours, though I hated how they left a gap behind my ear and the treble could sometimes drive me crazy on certain songs. If I get them again I'm definitely going to spring for some Lawton Angle Pads.

Well the pair I had was a lemon as it had a plastic piece somewhere inside that was rattling around which got extremely annoying. I just returned them rather than having them warrantied. When I returned them, as luck would have it, life went fubar for a while. So now months have passed with only listening out of crummy laptop speakers or blowing away the neighborhood with the main system. Time for a little bit of quality privacy with my music, games, and movies.

I'm back on the market and I'm stuck between just getting another HE400 or going for an HD650. I've been all over the web reading reviews and comparisons of both pairs and honestly, I'm stumped. From all I can tell, I'd love both.

The thing that I'm getting stumped on is the fact that the 650's scale up well from all I've read. They also have the toned down treble but still give a good base impact which is appealing as the 400's treble at times would get to me. One other thing is the comfort. Although I could wear my HE400's for hours on end, they would get heavy and a small pressure spot would form at the top of my head leading to me needing a break for 10-15 minutes before I'd be fine to wear them again. Plus, after having a lemon for my very first pair, I tend to shy away from the HE400's because I'd hate to have another and the 650's have been around for so long that I doubt they'd really have any issues.

Sadly, I'm unable to test both pairs anywhere in my town and ordering them at the same time is not an option I can go for right now.

Also I'm really looking for an open back can with great bass, and a large soundstage, and clarity for gaming.

I'd use these for gaming and movies.

Here is a sample of the games and music I'd use them for: (I listen to basically ever genre of music so this is just a small sample of the first songs I could think of that I love.)

I will say, this was the very first song I listened too with my first pair of HE400's and it blew me away.

My AMP is a Garage1217 Polaris and no DAC but I honestly could not tell a difference between my PC headphone port and my friends Modi so I decided not to spring for one. I might one day.

Overall, I'm just curious as to which headphone you all would recommend? I'd like to keep myself around the $300 range. Definitely throw other ideas my way if you have some!

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 4
Neither of these cans has more than an average-ish sound stage.

You really need to hear both for yourself, but absent that option this is probably your best source:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared#user_HE400

vs.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared#user_HD650

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the help you two, but now after some more research I've decided to up myself to the $500 range. Figured I might as well since I have the money for it.

I'm sticking away from the DTs as I was never a fan of their sound on any of the models (770, 880, and 990)

So now I've upped myself to looking at the HE400i but any other options are on the table! So soundstage, imaging, opened cans, and deep extending bass with a bit of impact. It doesn't need to be as impactful as the he400s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back