HD650 or D2000
Apr 26, 2009 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

I34z1k

New Head-Fier
Hey guys

Looking for a new set of headphones. Mainly use a Go-Vibe petite, it can power the 650s quite decently, but I do usually listen iPod - Go-vibe - headphones.

Basically, any comments on which'd be better? I can get the 650s second hand for about $320, which is cheap here, or I can try import the Denons and do the Markl mod on them myself.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Mike

Apr 26, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 12
What are your current headphone(s) and what kinds of music do you listen to?

Apr 26, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #4 of 12
I went from the HD555 to the D2000, and it's going from mediocre to amazing. Seriously.
They were used for gaming, music and watching movies/series and the D2000 is hands down the best.
The HD555 is open and the D2000 is closed, but the difference in soundstage is actually pretty small, and that says something about the D2000
wink.gif

Though I have no experience whatsoever with the HD650, the D2000 is a upgrade from heaven.

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by I34z1k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, thanks for the reply. What'd you say the most noticable diferences are? I mean you say it's so much better
smily_headphones1.gif

HD555 and HD650 is not in the same league~ If you want a HD555, you can get one for around $60~

HD650 supposed to be one of the best open back headphones, and D2k is closed back, it all depends on your preference... D2k is cheaper than HD650 though...you should get a D5k if you decide to not take the hd650.

BTW, Im also from South Africa~ but living in Miami now ^ ^ Don't see headfiers from SA often...

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 12
My primary phones are the HD600 and D2000. I have not modded the D2000, and I have not heard a modded D2000. I will be modding my D2000 at some point because the stock sound leaves me wanting to fix its flaws.

The D2000 has a recessed and distant quality in the mids. Problem is that is where vocals are. "Recessed and distant" isn't what you want for rock vocals. When listening to classic rock or classic hard rock I find some songs frustrate me because the vocals are too distant. The D2000 makes the mids very pleasant to listen to, not in your face, very open. "Pleasant" isn't always what you want. I don't know if the markl mods will fix those issues or not. If the mids weren't so distant I would really like the D2000, maybe that's where the D7000 comes in?

Of the headphones I have, if I had to listen to only one headphone it would be the HD600. It does classical music very well. Full orchestra, choral, small ensemble, it does it all nicely. Headstage is full and completes the illusion better than the D2000. The HD600 does rock vocals well. The vocals are not distant like the D2000. They're right there front and center. What it's missing for rock is the physical impact of bass and bass drum pedals. That is something the D2000 does.

I am preferring the D2000 for pipe organ music (I like pipe organs). The classical guitar music of Rodrigo y Gabriela works better for me on the D2000 compared to the HD600. I'm finding I like Jaco Pastorius better on the D2000 even though the HD600 has a more accurate bass. There is some hit and miss for each headphone.

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #8 of 12
Well, the midrange and timbre of the HD650 are magical once you hear them using a proper tube amplification. The sound is not suited for all kinds of genre though. Metal and rock for example would sound better with the Denon which sounds clearer.

If you're going to use the Petite, then the Denon would suit your needs better.

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 12
I think it really depends on what sort of sound you're looking for, pretty much every Sennheiser headphone I've heard had a very laid back and relaxing sound and while sometimes that's a good thing the Senns almost made me fall asleep at times. While I haven't heard the D2000 I do currently own the D7000 and really prefer the Denons because they make music more involving and exciting especially rock and metal as well as being more comfortable than the Senns.

Apr 26, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD555 and HD650 is not in the same league~ If you want a HD555, you can get one for around $60~

HD650 supposed to be one of the best open back headphones, and D2k is closed back, it all depends on your preference... D2k is cheaper than HD650 though...you should get a D5k if you decide to not take the hd650.

BTW, Im also from South Africa~ but living in Miami now ^ ^ Don't see headfiers from SA often...

I know they aren't hence the upgrade, I was comparing the D2000 and HD650, but I have compared the HD555 and HD650, just wanted to know how the D2000 would compare.

From what I understand, the biggest difference between closed and open, is the soundstage? Closed would be nice, but I don't have a preferance.

The D5k is close to $500 I think which is out of my price range... I mean rand dollar and then still customs kinda screws me
frown.gif

Nice! I know of 2 other South Africans on here
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My primary phones are the HD600 and D2000. I have not modded the D2000, and I have not heard a modded D2000. I will be modding my D2000 at some point because the stock sound leaves me wanting to fix its flaws.

The D2000 has a recessed and distant quality in the mids. Problem is that is where vocals are. "Recessed and distant" isn't what you want for rock vocals. When listening to classic rock or classic hard rock I find some songs frustrate me because the vocals are too distant. The D2000 makes the mids very pleasant to listen to, not in your face, very open. "Pleasant" isn't always what you want. I don't know if the markl mods will fix those issues or not. If the mids weren't so distant I would really like the D2000, maybe that's where the D7000 comes in?

Great synopsis!
wink.gif
Thanks man.

I see what you mean. But like someone else mentioned, I'm using the petite so was wondering if the D2000s would sound better than the HD650s considering it's driving strength.

I'd really like to get a Headroom portable, the $399 one I think it was. I'm sure that'd be real nice compared to the Petite
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the midrange and timbre of the HD650 are magical once you hear them using a proper tube amplification. The sound is not suited for all kinds of genre though. Metal and rock for example would sound better with the Denon which sounds clearer.

If you're going to use the Petite, then the Denon would suit your needs better.

I've heard them on my petite and they sounded fantastic on what I listen to. Never heard the Denon's so I suppose ignorance is bliss? Thanks, that was a very well reasoned reply
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linchpin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it really depends on what sort of sound you're looking for, pretty much every Sennheiser headphone I've heard had a very laid back and relaxing sound and while sometimes that's a good thing the Senns almost made me fall asleep at times. While I haven't heard the D2000 I do currently own the D7000 and really prefer the Denons because they make music more involving and exciting especially rock and metal as well as being more comfortable than the Senns.

Well I do listen to them while I work for a few hours a day.... So perhaps the Sennies again
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 12
I don't know about the Petite. I don't have a lot of experience with portable amps.

The portable amp I have is a bit of an odd-ball. It is not typical of the designs used by head-fi. It works OK with the HD600 but really doesn't like the D2000. Going straight from the iPod sounds better than going through the amp. The amp obviously doesn't like the 25 ohms and the current necessary to drive them properly. Some portable amps just aren't going to work with the Denon while they may work with the HD600/650.

My home amp rocks the Denons and the HD600. It's a $200 amp. But home amps and portable battery powered amps are different beasts.

I'm listening to The Allman Brothers Band "Where It All Begins" right now with the D2000 and the typically recessed vocals of the D2000 aren't being a problem. It's weird how that is an issue on some songs/albums/artists but not on others. It also depends on how loud you listen. The louder you listen the less the vocals sound "distant".

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #12 of 12
Dare I say with the iPod, your limit isn't going to be the Senns or Denons, and I suspect their differences will be minimized in this environment. So I'm not sure I'd judge on SQ as much as practicality advantages of closed Denons versus likely superior upgrade options with Senns.

If you go Senns I'd switch from HD650s and move to used HD600 or better yet (for bang-for-buck) HD580 and use the money you save to beef up your DAC or amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back