HD650 + MPX3 overkill for SCD-CE595?
Jan 9, 2007 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

George Chronis

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all. I've been following this forum and reading reviews on equipment for about a year. I do not own a good system yet. I listen to iPod and computer, but I have about 20 sets of headphones and a small protable amp.

I would like to go a little further into the audiophile world and explore the possibilities. I would like to try out SACD but I also have a lot of CD's that I'd like to listen to as well. I went from the Rotel RCD-1072 to the Marantz CD5001 to the Marantz SA8001, but I see that the Sony SCD-CE595 is probably the best bang for the buck, especially since I have not heard much yet.

Now, I was also going to get the MPX3 and HD650 combo thinking that I would probably upgrade the source and not lose much (since the SCD-CE595 is so cheap), but to get some decent headphones and a decent amp, I'd have to spend more money. So, I may as well go to the MPX3/HD650 combo. My question is: does this combo of amp/cans make any sense with the 595 source, or should I go straight to the SA8001? I do not want to have to pay $1k instead of $150, if the 595 SACD sounds ok as I have heard. I was just curious if a good amp and cans will buy me anything in terms of sound fidelity with the 595 source.

Thank you very much,
George.

Edit: If it helps any, I listen to all kinds of music, but mostly classical, less jazz and electronic (like Yanni). The rest is pop and rock, which I won't even play through this system.

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 12
Did some more reading. Here's the current plan, since I also have a PowerMac G5: Get a 595 and feed the redbook to a toslink switcher. On the same switcher send the toslink from the g5 (too bad none of them have SPDIF, o/w I could have tossed the switcher). Send the swithcer output to a presonus central station. Line of the central station to line 1 of an MPX3 and SACD from the 595 to line 2 of the MPX3. MPX3 to HD650 How does this sound? Any opinions?

I figure, if SACD doesn't work as a format, I only spent $150 in it and I have a good amp, a versatile DAC/AMP/whatever and a good pair of headphones. Those should be useful, even if SACD goes to hell. What does everyone thing?

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 12
I think that would work wonderfully. As long as you're not breaking the bank just to try out SACD, and if you were, then I'd suggest you find a way to have a test listening session with a SACD player so you can get a feel whether it's worth it for you or not. But since it's only going to cost you a fraction of how much you're planning to spend, I say go for it as the SCD-CE595 has great reviews as an intro into SACD.

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 12
I've heard cheap, mid priced and more expensive SACD players.
A cheap SACD player does have the edge on an equivalently priced CD player (when it's playing SACD), but just because it plays SACD, doesn't mean it'll kill much more expensive CDs players.
Based upon my experience, my view is that an SACD is roughly on par with a CD player costing twice as much. I know that's a very rough and ready point of view, and others will almost certainly dissagree, but I think that it's a good starting point.

Sorry, just remembered that I do have a multi-standard dvd player capable of playing SACD. My CD player makes it sound broken, but then my CD source would cost close on 30 times the amount (new prices). You might have guessed how much use my player gets.
So please don't get carried away with the idea that SACD is a the be all and end all.

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 12
Great! Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll go audition an SACD. I'll take my headphone amp and my HD595, so that I can get a fair view of some of them. I hope best buy and circuit city carries some names, because there's no specialized home theater store around here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that would work wonderfully. As long as you're not breaking the bank just to try out SACD, and if you were, then I'd suggest you find a way to have a test listening session with a SACD player so you can get a feel whether it's worth it for you or not. But since it's only going to cost you a fraction of how much you're planning to spend, I say go for it as the SCD-CE595 has great reviews as an intro into SACD.

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #6 of 12
Ok. Considering that I own about 100 good CD's (classical: deutche gramophon and Naxos), which I don't consider a huge investment, would you go with a Marantz CD5001 or a Rotel RCD-1072 instead of the CE595? would I be better off with one of these players and a collection of redbook, or with the 595 and a collection of SACD?

I'll build the CD collection pretty much from scratch either way, and since it costs about the same, it's not an important factor. So, we are just talking quality of the players here. Consider that the 595 will also be going through the resonus central station. I don't think I can fork off $1k on a source right now, but if I'm not satisfied with SACD, I will in the future.

I just have no experience with hi-fi like most of you guys in here, and that's where you come in. I'm asking for your advice out of your experience. I'm sure people will disagree, but out of your experience alone, what would you do if you were in my shoes?

Again, thank you so much for your trouble reading all this and taking the time to reply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Sukebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard cheap, mid priced and more expensive SACD players.
A cheap SACD player does have the edge on an equivalently priced CD player (when it's playing SACD), but just because it plays SACD, doesn't mean it'll kill much more expensive CDs players.
Based upon my experience, my view is that an SACD is roughly on par with a CD player costing twice as much. I know that's a very rough and ready point of view, and others will almost certainly dissagree, but I think that it's a good starting point.

Sorry, just remembered that I do have a multi-standard dvd player capable of playing SACD. My CD player makes it sound broken, but then my CD source would cost close on 30 times the amount (new prices). You might have guessed how much use my player gets.
So please don't get carried away with the idea that SACD is a the be all and end all.

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 12
My view is that "it depends".
The key issue with SACD is the limited number of disks available. Have a scan at what's available. If you think that you'd be happy with that lot, then go with it and get the best SACD player you can.
Otherwise, focus on the format you mainly use and get it right, as against spreading your funds around on obscure kit. After all, this is about enjoying listening to MUSIC you like listening to, not having brilliant sounding hi-fi.

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 12
Good advice. I think I'm plenty covered with the titles I see out there now. Problem is that I listen to almost everything (depending on the mood and time), but I don't really care for "quality" in pop and rock for example. The tiimes I listen to this kind of music, I won't be around the system anyway.

So, for classical and jazz that I am interested in, looks like there are a lot of titles out there (more than I can buy anyway). Following your advice, I would build a good SACD system. I think I will start with the 595 to first see what this thing is all about and then probably upgrade to the SA8001, if I find myself stuck on the music.

One last thing: In your opinion, since I have the option of listening to classical music either in SACD or on a good redbook CDP, which way should I go? More specifically, CE595 ($150) with a $400 DAC or a $500-$600 CD (no SACD) like the Marantz CD5001?

Again, I appreciate your help with this. I hope I'll be able to contribute to this forum soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Sukebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My view is that "it depends".
The key issue with SACD is the limited number of disks available. Have a scan at what's available. If you think that you'd be happy with that lot, then go with it and get the best SACD player you can.
Otherwise, focus on the format you mainly use and get it right, as against spreading your funds around on obscure kit. After all, this is about enjoying listening to MUSIC you like listening to, not having brilliant sounding hi-fi.

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #9 of 12
Hello George! Welcome to headfi and sorry for your wallet. Are you greek by the way?
biggrin.gif
My recommendation to you would be to buy the best you can from the beginning and buy used equipment. This way if you dont like something you can easily sell it at the same price and go for something else. As far as the SACD player is concerned I would go with the SA8001 so that I have a solid base for my system. You dont need to have an ultra fancy amp to drive the HD650 so I would suggest saving some cash from the amp and buy a better source and better headphones. If you stay around here then I doubt that in the near future you wont sell the HD595 for the HD650 so why not go for these now?
icon10.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello George! Welcome to headfi and sorry for your wallet.

Thanks and yeah, I'm sorry too
tongue.gif

Quote:

Are you greek by the way?
biggrin.gif

Yes, easy to tell, huh? I moved to the States about 15 years ago, but lived in Greece for the most part of my life (yeah, I'm getting old, I know). I see you are greek as well. Do you live there?

Quote:

My recommendation to you would be to buy the best you can from the beginning and buy used equipment. This way if you dont like something you can easily sell it at the same price and go for something else. As far as the SACD player is concerned I would go with the SA8001 so that I have a solid base for my system. You dont need to have an ultra fancy amp to drive the HD650 so I would suggest saving some cash from the amp and buy a better source and better headphones. If you stay around here then I doubt that in the near future you wont sell the HD595 for the HD650 so why not go for these now?
icon10.gif

Ok, so you are saying HD650, SA8001, no Presonus CS and no MPX3 for now, correct? Does this mean that the redbook sound I get out of the SA8001 would be better than the Presonus + CE595?

Thank you so much for the help!

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #11 of 12
No one can tell which will sound better. You'll have to hear it for yourself. =T

Jan 10, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 12
Unfortunately, I don't have a store near me (or anyone else for that matter), that carries either of these systems. This is why I am asking, so that people that own them could tell me what it sounds like to them. I understand it may sound different to me, but what are my options here? I'm just looking for some pointers. $2k is nothing to sneeze at for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one can tell which will sound better. You'll have to hear it for yourself. =T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back