hd650 maybe a little too dark...
May 17, 2006 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

SOUNDinterpreter

100+ Head-Fier
i just recently recieved a pair of hd650's and i've been listening to them for some hours now. although i do like them, they seem a little too dark for me. i think i would enjoy them a lot more if they were just a tad bit less "dark". it could possibly be my source, cd's off of an aiwa stereo. i planned on buying the headfive to power my cans, but do you think the headfive or just an amp in general would help make them less "dark". what i was hoping for was maybe a more "crisp" style of detail. it could also be the cd's i'm listening to, which are by Muse, the only cd's i have at the moment. i mean, there are times in certain songs where i am satisfied with the sound, and there are times when i am not. If you think they are the cans, what would be a pair of headphones you think would satisfy me. i really love to listen to all types of music, i just want a sound with brighter highs that are more lively, with nice clean bass. i was considering the dt880's, k701's, and possibly some grado's just not really sure which one. i'm pretty open to any ideas any of you may have. as for price point, i'd probably want to stick with something hopefully less than $450.

May 17, 2006 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 83
Let them burn in! They'll very pleasingly open up with time.

May 17, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #4 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUNDinterpreter
i just recently recieved a pair of hd650's and i've been listening to them for some hours now. although i do like them, they seem a little too dark for me. i think i would enjoy them a lot more if they were just a tad bit less "dark".

Try to get used to the sound. An amp will not necessarily help that much. Cables are snake oil.

Regards,

L.

May 17, 2006 at 9:09 AM Post #6 of 83
My Sennheiser HD650’s arrived about 20 minutes ago, I’ve not heard the Senn sound previously but I am really enjoying Ayumi Hamasaki through them at the moment.

I also have a Zu Mobius on the way to try and compare that to the stock cable.

For info I am running them off a NAIM Headline2.

Will this take place as my favourite can over the AKG K 701, possibly…..

May 17, 2006 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUNDinterpreter
i dont know, ive got about 50 hours on them. it still seems like im digging through all the heaviness trying to find crip cymbals.

That does sound like it is lacking power (amplification). The HD-650 does indeed sound sluggish and muddy in the bass with no amping. I don't know if you are hearing it, but I suppose the soundstage is practically gone/two-dimensional too, no?

May 17, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #8 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
That does sound like it is lacking power (amplification). The HD-650 does indeed sound sluggish and muddy in the bass with no amping. I don't know if you are hearing it, but I suppose the soundstage is practically gone/two-dimensional too, no?

when i first got the hd650s i knew the would take some time to burn in, but after a couple of hours of listening to it i wanted to take into consideration certain details when hearing the cans to see how much of an improvement these were over super.fi 5 pros. one of "tests" included soundstage, and to be honest i could not picture much of a vivid soundstage at all.

May 17, 2006 at 9:25 AM Post #9 of 83
you know what, i just picked up my sisters mp3 player and it certainly sounds a lot better. i believe its either the music on the cd's because they seemed really bass heavy or my stereo or the combination of both. still, im craving that "crisp" sound that i'm not really hearing but trying really hard to hear.

May 17, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #10 of 83
Not sure if you're ready to take out the foam covering the drivers yet but that makes one hell of a difference.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 17, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #11 of 83
ill probably try that tomorrow, but to be honest with you it doesnt seem like that would make much of a difference, although i do hear about a lot of people saying they prefer the sound of the hd650s with the foams off.

May 17, 2006 at 9:40 AM Post #14 of 83
it will open up a little after some burn in but do not expect major changes. You can spend a few grands on cables, amps, sources, but they will not give you nearly as much changes as just going to another phone i.e. k701. I prefer a stock K701 to a recabled 500bucks 650.
wink.gif
If you think the 650 is too dark for your taste....just let them go and try something else. Don't force yourself to like them just because they are well regarded in the forum

May 17, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #15 of 83
ok, well i was definitely going to purchase an amp regardless if i had problems with the headphone or not. and i will try defoaming my cans also. thanks for your opinions.

and Team Treble Boost sounds like something i should definitely join.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back