HD650, loose driver?
Jan 30, 2008 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Gingerbread Man

New Head-Fier
Hi. On tracks with some deep bass, there's a very noticable rattling coming from the right driver of my 650's. I've used the reverse stereo channels feature on foobar, and it's still only coming from the right so it's not the track.

Is this a loose driver? Should I send it back for repair / replacement?

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 17
There is a hair stuck inside somewhere, look for it with a bright torch.
smily_headphones1.gif

Search for "grattle" on the forums.

PS: Not sure about the spelling, could be "gratle"...
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #4 of 17
I'm not sure if you need to open it up, I don't have a HD650 (yet). I'll get one in a month or so. But I think you need to open it up; at least remove the earpads and have a look inside of the earcups.

Anyway, this problem is quite common with a lot of headphones. Once the hair gets in there, it will rattle like there is no tomorrow. Especially on bass heavy songs. It will sound like as if there is there is a tiny piece of paper in there flapping away.

I had this problem on my Audio Technica ES7 headphone too.

The term "grattle" is used because it happens with Grados the most often IIANM.
smily_headphones1.gif

rattle + grado = grattle
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...grattle-23514/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/how...grados-144411/

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #5 of 17
Sounds like a loose driver to me. The drivers in the HD650 are "clicked" in their holders. I've had mine come loose a few times. The first time I was really worried because I thought the driver was faulty. It's actually pretty simple to open the side and click the driver back in place.

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats!
biggrin.gif

So it was indeed a hair/some dust crap inside then?

Yeah, seems like it. Gave me quite a scare at first though -I was getting dissapointed at the thought of being without headphones for a week at least whilst they were being replaced / repaired.

Jan 30, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #10 of 17
I can't really say for sure, because I'm running them on a new Graham Slee Solo which is still burning in and changing all the time - I will say that they are less comfortable without the foam (could just be my big ears :p)

Jan 30, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gingerbread Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gave me quite a scare at first though -I was getting dissapointed at the thought of being without headphones for a week at least whilst they were being replaced / repaired.

I know exactly how you feel man. I had the same feeling when I had this problem with my ES7. I was devastated, I thought I used too much pink noise to burn in my ES7 and had damaged the driver!
eek.gif

I was soo sad, I thought I had ruined it. Just like you, I then started a thread, and some kind head-fiers pointed me in the right direction.
wink.gif

Head-Fi FTW!
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #13 of 17
I too experienced the rattle sound from the right driver.

At first, I thought the right one was bad, so I flipped the headphone (left driver on my right ear, and vice versa), but strangely, I didn’t notice any rattle with the right driver on my left ear, and nor did the left one. I swapped back (left-left, right-right), and boom! Rattle did come back on the right driver.

I then swapped left-right cable from my cd-player to my amp, but I still experienced the rattle on the right no matter what channel being fed to the amp.

Before sending the phones back, I read this thread and decided to give it a try. I took out the cushion and found “nothing” on the driver –inside of my phone was very clean, except from some dust. Well, at that time I thought I really doomed, but something did catch my eyes –there were some hairs piercing halfway in the foam covering the driver
eek.gif
Even though they didn’t fully touch the driver, with some bass heavy passage, the driver might move far enough to touch them. Removing those hairs fixed the problem.

Ahh man! this should be included in the manual.

Feb 9, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and in case no one has welcomed you yet, then let me say:
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about the wallet!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the welcome, but you know, it's too late cause I've spent way too much on my gear already.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back