HD650... logical choice?
Jun 7, 2005 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

akwok

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all,

So in the last month after joining head-fi I've purchased a pair of SA5k's, a Pocket Amp V2, a Gilmore Lite (on it's way), and the E4C's (on it's way also).

Is the next logical step the HD650? I want both the HD650's and the SA5k's, and I like the SA5k's by all means but I am afraid that I will favor one of the other. I only have one set of ears, you know..

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated! :).

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 40
Are you happy with the SA5K's? If so, then there really isn't a reason to get the HD650's. I wouldn't be afraid of favoring one of the other also...you do want the best set of headphones don't you
wink.gif
And by the way...the SA5K's and HD650's have a great resale value, so I recouping most of your losses should be easy.

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 40
*L* Awok you are doing it right my friend!

Yes, you probably will favor one or the other. Why don't you try each and find out? Both offer different strengths. The Senn's have a sweet midrange and nice tight bass with a projected soundstage. Sparkle is the SA5k's fortay, sound is clean, so very clean.

Apparently, you have some decent funds to throw around. Pick the sound you like and work on synergy in your system. That is my advice.

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Hey all,

So in the last month after joining head-fi I've purchased a pair of SA5k's, a Pocket Amp V2, a Gilmore Lite (on it's way), and the E4C's (on it's way also).

Is the next logical step the HD650? I want both the HD650's and the SA5k's, and I like the SA5k's by all means but I am afraid that I will favor one of the other. I only have one set of ears, you know..

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated! :).

I don't know about "logical," other than selecting from the finest headphones available from every respected manufacturer, but I have purchased the Sony CD3K, SA5K, Grado RS-1, and now Senn HD-650. My two favorites, so far, are the CD3K and HD-650, which I kept. I didn't care for the SA5K or the RS-1's and have previously shared my views on those products. Clearly, you enjoy the SA5K sound and may, after all is said and done, prefer them to every other headphone. Such is the nature of individual hearing, taste, and preference.

Reading in between your lines (above), I think it's fair to conclude that you won't be satisfied until you've experienced them all. I certainly wasn't! To wit, I have a set of STAX SR-404/SR-313 en route to me which I hope to have next week! Just today, I also purchased from ECost.com the Shure E4C to upgrade my IPOD listening enjoyment.

If this is a hobby for you as it is for many of us -- SPLURGE!
lambda.gif

KenB

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 40
I think you should definately try both. There no need to be scared that you'll favor one above the other. I think they complement each other pretty well.

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 40
I don't know how to interpret this, but the SA5k's hurt my ears a bit. It seems a bit too sharp.. don't know. I listen to a lot of rock, and sometimes Satriani's guitar seems a bit 'piercing'.

Also one more thing, comfortwise is the HD650 as comfortable as the SA5k's?

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 40
Haha.. variety. WHY CAN'T THESE HEADPHONES BE CHEAPER! Ughh.

Anyhow, have you guys experienced sharpness (even painfulness) when using the SA5000's?

Jun 7, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Anyhow, have you guys experienced sharpness (even painfulness) when using the SA5000's?

No.

Get a better source/amp/cables/psu - these are high resolution headphones and will reflect the current state of the ancillary gear.

gs

Jun 7, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

I don't know how to interpret this, but the SA5k's hurt my ears a bit. It seems a bit too sharp.. don't know. I listen to a lot of rock, and sometimes Satriani's guitar seems a bit 'piercing'.

Also one more thing, comfortwise is the HD650 as comfortable as the SA5k's?

I'd say that the SA5k's are more comfortable. The HD650's clamping force was a bit much, even after stretching it out for a day with a book.

Quote:

Haha.. variety. WHY CAN'T THESE HEADPHONES BE CHEAPER! Ughh.

Only with badly recorded material.

Jun 7, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #11 of 40
Hmm.. the SA5000's seem to be a -barely- good enough fit for my big noggin. A bit tight still, :-/. Not as bad as my MDR-V700's though!

I still don't have my Gilmore Lite here yet, it's at the border right now. Should I expect a significant difference through the Gilmore Lite vs. the Pocket Amp V2 for driving my SA5k's?

Thanks for the replies!

Jun 7, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
Variety is the spice of life.......go for it!
biggrin.gif

Says the poster boy for variety...
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Are you happy with the SA5K's? If so, then there really isn't a reason to get the HD650's. I wouldn't be afraid of favoring one of the other also...you do want the best set of headphones don't you
wink.gif
And by the way...the SA5K's and HD650's have a great resale value, so I recouping most of your losses should be easy.

That's the quickest 180 I've seen in a thread, nicely done.
biggrin.gif

For a second there I thought I was going to see prudent and practical advice about money on Head-Fi.

Jun 7, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #14 of 40
If it weren't for you guys I wouldn't have to spend so much money.. damn you!

Looking into getting the HD650's now.
eggosmile.gif
. I think this thread just reinforced my urge to buy them.. garr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back