HD650/K1000 + portable amp?
Dec 17, 2005 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Cortes

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
In the case you move very much and you can only fit small gadgets in your suitcase (stuffed with other gadgets), and you can only have small portable amps like the Hornet or AE-1, what combination would produce better sound: HD650+portable amp, or K1000+portable amp?. Just out of curiosity
Cheers

Dec 17, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 16
HD-650. A portable amp will barely get reasonable volume from the K-1000, and certainly won't be able to drive them to their full potential, or even anywhere near it.

The 650 on the other end really sings with some of the higher end mini amps like the HeadRoom Micro (I know there are others, but I haven't heard them).

Dec 18, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #3 of 16
headroom micro amp for all thing sennheiser
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2005 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 16
Doesn't the T-amp do a decent job with the AKG?... hardly portable, although it should fit in a suitcase.

Garrett

Dec 18, 2005 at 10:10 AM Post #9 of 16
Headroom Micro Amp will definitely drive a pair of HD650. Not sure about K1000... "The Micro amp will have about TWICE the power rating compared to the "Mobile" line and will effortlessly drive even high-impedance headphones. The 3-position gain switch on the front panel helps to perfectly match the Micro to any set of headphones or in-ear monitors." Go figure...

a little off topic, but anyway...
I was thinking about the Headroom Micro Amp, but it's just a tad too big for my purposes so I put an order for the Hornet instead. Also, the 20hr battery life on two 9V is little disappointing for a "portable" amp. However, I'm sure the sound quality more than makes up for it. I'm not complaining at all! I mean, it's got variable gain and crossfeed, damn, that sounds good. After the Hornet, the next amp I'll get will definitely be the Headroom Micro Amp w/Desktop Module for home/school use!

Dec 18, 2005 at 10:37 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Doesn't the T-amp do a decent job with the AKG?... hardly portable, although it should fit in a suitcase.

Garrett

The T-amp is fully portable and ridiculously cheap.
In fact I've used the combination several times on the go whenever I felt the desire to look like a dork.
tongue.gif

BTW and IMO both cans aren't suitable for portable usage, the K1000 even less.They both leak in and out like hell.
Good for a joke or for listening at night in the outback, but nothing for crowded and noisy environments.

Dec 18, 2005 at 11:32 AM Post #11 of 16
thanks for the feedback. From your answers seems clear that the K1000 is not a good idea for a small amp. I just discovered in the forum some excitement about the K701. I have to decide between it and the HD650. BTW, here in Germany the HD650 and K701 can be got cheaper than in US.
Regards!

Dec 18, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #12 of 16
I found that the K401 and K501 needed a fairly powerful amp to really show what they can do. I would guess the 701 is about the same. Lesser amps can drive them but they really open up with a better amp. I think it is a lot like speakers and amps. When a song has a spike it takes an amp with adequate power to reproduce it accurately. Same with headphones. I think the Sennheiser 600/650 is a little easier to drive to its potential. There is a real difference from just driving a headphone with an amp and having an amp that really allows a headphone to show what it can do.

Dec 19, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cortes
thanks for the feedback. From your answers seems clear that the K1000 is not a good idea for a small amp. I just discovered in the forum some excitement about the K701. I have to decide between it and the HD650. BTW, here in Germany the HD650 and K701 can be got cheaper than in US.
Regards!

I had an HD600 for about a month and I returned because its sound did not do it for me. Yes I burned it in for over 300 hours, yes I tried aftermarked cables like the Moon Audio Silver Dragon, yes I removed the foam to open up the high frequencies. I then got the K701 and it is a wonderful headphone, I love the way it performs (specially after 300 hours of burn in).

Even though the K701 are great cans they are still not as good as my RS-1
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #14 of 16
the current feedback chips (tle-6210?) can drive the k-1000's decently.

also, a buffered amp with adequate voltage swing (ie, gain probably higher than what you use to run your iem's) can drive the k-1000's.

driving the hd-650's is an easy task after looking at the k-1000's.

if you are looking for absolute maximum (by specs) volume from the k-1000. then a portable will likely not suit the bill. chances that absolute maximum volume from a k-1000 will likely leave you deaf after a few minuites of listening.

Dec 19, 2005 at 10:09 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I had an HD600 for about a month and I returned because its sound did not do it for me. Yes I burned it in for over 300 hours, yes I tried aftermarked cables like the Moon Audio Silver Dragon, yes I removed the foam to open up the high frequencies. I then got the K701 and it is a wonderful headphone, I love the way it performs (specially after 300 hours of burn in).

Even though the K701 are great cans they are still not as good as my RS-1
biggrin.gif

From what I've read in the forum, the threshold to become alive of the K701 is higher than the HD650's one, and that makes me think that for many hours of listening at low volume the HD650 should be less fatiguing. On the other hand, if I go for the HD650 I'll stick to the stock cable, 150-200$ in cables seems too much for me since there are many contradictory opinions on their benefit.
Anyway, I hope the Micro Headrom/Hornet/AE-1 are enough to drive the HD650/K701.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back