HD650 - just had to post
Dec 28, 2005 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sum

100+ Head-Fier
Just put my 650s on. Using iTunes (see my sig for the rig). Smile on my face. This is the only thing (I mean out of everything I own, not just gear) that puts a smile on my face every time. Just had to post. Can't wait for my Aria to get here, wondering if that'll make a substantial difference or not. If it doesn't, might have to get a GCHA.
580smile.gif

What is everyone else's guarantee of an audio induced smile?

Dec 28, 2005 at 8:07 AM Post #3 of 7
Since I got them a month ago, I've been using the HD650 with stock cable frequently, and more often than I expected. Their smooth and distant presentation is suitable for relaxing with slower-paced music.

With some faster-paced pop or classical/instrumental music, I have a tendency to turn up the volume compared to other headphones. They can sound very good at high volume levels where I usually wouldn't reach using the DT880 or RS-1, for example. This is probably due to the HD650's lesser amount of treble.

On the other hand, the DT880 and the RS-1 can be more involving and energetic than the HD650. The DT880's soundstage is often better with chill out electronica, and the RS-1 is hard to beat with fast pop and rock music.

Dec 28, 2005 at 9:07 AM Post #4 of 7
Comfort is a huge issue for me, and the HD650-style enclosure is still the most comfortable I've used (CD3000's got nothing on it!). Just for this, I find it an extremely good headphone.
smily_headphones1.gif
, I can wear it for hours on end without any itches!

Dec 28, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 7
Elephas, have you tired the Zu cable? It make the HD650s a touch more forward. With the Zu cable I greatly prefer them over my RS-2s for everything except acoustic guitar type music.

Dec 28, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 7
I haven't heard the HD650 with Zu Mobius yet, only a Cardas. I thought the Cardas gave the HD650 more warmth compared to the stock cable, and didn't like it enough to buy it.

Sometimes the three-blobs-in-the-head soundstage effect bothers me, though. I've read that the Equinox can make the soundstage seem more seamless. The Zu and Equinox are definitely on the to-consider list.

I sometimes use the HD650 with a non-OS DAC as source. The sound is very smooth, and great for relaxing music.

Dec 28, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
I haven't heard the HD650 with Zu Mobius yet, only a Cardas. I thought the Cardas gave the HD650 more warmth compared to the stock cable, and didn't like it enough to buy it.

More warmth.. ouch. That's not good at all.

650s still keep on amazing me sometimes. I'm very used to their sound now when they have over 400 hours on them but listening to new tracks with them is just great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back