HD650 FR imbalance
Feb 9, 2012 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

volted

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have some HD650s, just over 1 years old hooked into a WA3.  Recently I have had an FR problem in the right channel. Characteristics are inaccurate bass frequency reproduction (sounds a touch higher than it should, sine-y, reverberant), almost tickling resonance at times. Highs are sometimes delivered with too much attack and harshness. You can feel on your ear, the air movement is all wrong. The right ear has lost its transparency, and ... well the sound is just delivered wrong in some frequency ranges.

Very fatiguing in the right ear, and can be slightly painful/irritating if above moderate volume is used for any period of time.

Checked padding and things, cable and amp, swapped channels etc and strongly think it is the actual driver. I'm going to book it in for repair, but wondered if any of you wonderful people had encountered similar problems? If so, were they resolved by Senn?

Thanks in advance

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 5
First thing to try is to move the left ear cup to your right and and the right ear cup to your left.  This will test your hearing.  If the problem follows the ear cup then it is the headphones.

I remember some issues with the HD-650 having some debris trapped in with the driver creating said problems.  I am guessing the driver is fine, but there is probably a piece of dust or chunk of debris in there.  You can vacuum them off once they are open and see if that helps.

Be extra careful not to scratch or dent the grills when you pry them out as they tend to damage easily.

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks NA Blur,

Yep been through all the common troubleshooting. I suspected a hair on the driver too but can't see anything :)

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 5
Turns out either the problem sorted itself (a hair on the driver or something) ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back