HD650 For Rock??? PLEASE HELP!!!
Sep 18, 2007 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

matthewhypolite

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
I’ve been having an email conversation with Larry from Headphile.com, I’ve decided to take it to the forums, please help.
im looking for Rock Solid Powerful Bass & Great detail, my listening types are Rock, Punk, Metal (system of a down, panic at the disco, linkin park, killswitch, etc) the following is a email sent to larry who suggested I buy and try and return to get what I want.--
“Thanks for your comments, unfortunately im not in the US and shipping and duties are insane, so the buy and try options wont work for me.
So I basically have to go on opinions of others, which is why I got the senn hd650 because ive read it has awesome bass, but I personally don’t like the sound of the senns, too laid back and not energetic.
I had a grado 325i before the senn, and the detail was incredible, but a bit too harsh & seriously lacking bass & uncomfortable, I tried the grados with a different earpad, the ones from the coby cv200 was available,
http://www.amazon.com/Coby-CV200-Dig...0082135&sr=8-3
and believe it or not, the grados paired with these earpads sound AWESOME, the bass was realy SOLID, and powerful and together with the 325i incredible detail, it sounded wonderful, but I was turned away from grados after my left earcup started flapping.
I tried all the stuff online to get it working again, but it seemed the signal wire got loose also, and I had no way of getting in there to fix it. I cant spend 300 on a headphones dat bombs out in less than a month. So I was completely turned off graods because of that, despite there beautiful detail and killer bass with those earpads. So den I ended up with the senn650, I was not impressed.
More reading said the senns need serious amplification, I got the headroom micro amp, they did sound A LOT better, but I was still not pleased with the sound of the senn. More reading suggested better amp + dac, along with cable upgrade for the senns, so im looking to buy a headroom desktop + dac, with home modules + Zu Mobius cables. Cupping my senns with my hand gives more the sound im looking for which Is why Im interested in your closed (headphile woody) design. But then you recommended loosing the 650s and it got me thinking.
Given all ive said here, can you point me in the right direction? Ill do some research on the Beyer V3, but your opinion will be very helpful, seeing that the cable upgrade for the senns are not cheap, I wouldn’t want to spend all the month buying a cable upgrade and woody mod for the senn, to still not like it in the end, when I could have spent half as much on a different phones dat gives me what im looking for. “
Based on all that ive said any input will be greatly appreciated, the grados with those earpads were juss the sound I loved, but I don’t trust grado after failing on me once. Suggestions please ppl, I have money to spend and I want to make the best purchase possible please help.

Matt

Sep 18, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #2 of 13
The 650's are absolutely great for rock. Especially live concerts (Slayer, Iron Maiden) sound superb. The soundstage is large so you don't have the feeling that you're in a bathroom with the whole band. I would suggest recabeling with Cardas cables to get rid of "the veil" and make the highs just that more crisp. I tried the Zu too but they sounded a bit too harsh. The good thing about the Senns is that they can sound very intimate too. For instance, Candy Shop by 50 Cent sounds like mr. Cent is standing close enough to punch you in the face. I like classical music as well, especially big sweeping pieces like Mozart's "Requiem" or Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings andagain, the Senns make the music sound like it's played especially for you. I just sold my HD650's but I'm having some regrets about it. If you're looking for alternatives you might try the Beyers, I liked them a lot although they're not as versatile as the Senns.

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #4 of 13
Hi Matthew,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura
The 650's are absolutely great for rock. Especially live concerts (Slayer, Iron Maiden) sound superb. The soundstage is large so you don't have the feeling that you're in a bathroom with the whole band. I would suggest recabeling with Cardas cables to get rid of "the veil" and make the highs just that more crisp

Singapura's comments are spot on. Given your musical tastes, the Senns recabled with Cardas / Zu / Equinox, etc. will serve you well. While I've gone with Cardas like Singapura, any of the others will yield improvement over the stock cable.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Garry

Sep 18, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for the comments, but can teh 650 with cardas sound aything like the grados with right earpads? Or will dey still have the muddy laid back nature? Also, can i have some insite on the beyer v3, it was recommended to me by another.

Also, i LOVE the grado clarity, does the recabled 650 provide anything close?

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 13
Based on what I've read and my experience with the HD650, I doubt you'll get what you want from your HD650 from only a cable upgrade. Although I'm not the one to advise on the details, it seems much more likely to me that it will take a better amp and source and end up costing you a lot of money, possibly a balanced system.

Since you've already found what you want in the modified Grado 325i, I suggest your much more economical solution would be to sell your HD650 and get another modified Grado 325i.

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewhypolite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the comments, but can teh 650 with cardas sound aything like the grados with right earpads? Or will dey still have the muddy laid back nature? Also, can i have some insite on the beyer v3, it was recommended to me by another.

Also, i LOVE the grado clarity, does the recabled 650 provide anything close?

When burnt in, I've found the the HD650/600/580's to sound very much like my RS-1's with the right setup and a silver cable (e.g. RAL, Senn v2 Black Silver, etc.). I think I prefer the RAL to the others. The veil is eliminated.

Though the Cardas sounds better with the HD600/580's - it adds a bit of warmth / weight which benefits them, and which the HD650's definitely don't need.

They have a bit bigger / fuller sound than my RS-1's - though my RS-1's still have just a bit sharper, clearer sound, with a bit more sparkle - sometimes a bit too much.

However... I wouldn't expect the cable alone to make the big difference.

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #9 of 13
the problem i have with the grado is, my left can stopped working after less than a month, i dont want to repeat that tragedy, which is why i went senns in the first place. So im in teh market again, i love grado, but cant afford for my cans to stop working on me again. Im hearing good things about the Darth Beyer V3 tough

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #10 of 13
It seems to me that you're not going to be totally happy with the 650s no matter what. You're basically looking to do every pairing and mod possible to get to them to not sound like Senns anymore.

If you were really stoked about Grados, I would look into other fast, upfront, impactful phones. Senns are just too relaxed for you (Ditto Denons). Research ATH's and AKG's and Sony's. I don't have much experience with those but they're probably more what you're looking for. Do a search for the ATH-A900 and go from there.

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on what I've read and my experience with the HD650, I doubt you'll get what you want from your HD650 from only a cable upgrade. Although I'm not the one to advise on the details, it seems much more likely to me that it will take a better amp and source and end up costing you a lot of money, possibly a balanced system.

Since you've already found what you want in the modified Grado 325i, I suggest your much more economical solution would be to sell your HD650 and get another modified Grado 325i.

I agree. I like my HD650s for punk and alternative....hard rock might still hold an edge with the SR325i.

The HD650s and SR325is actually make good compliments. Good amplification and source on a SR325i brings out bass.....Good amplification and source on the HD650s brings out some insane resolution. Since you're looking for detail with some bass, focusing on Grados might be an idea. With the HD650s, you'd be throwing a lot of money in amps and sources (cables are the least effective way to change a sound). Or try out Beyers...I personally find them too recessed, but others seem to find they provide some middle ground between Senns and Grados. Try some Beyers if you can.

With the amp upgrades, both Senns and Grados do really well with tube amps in my experience.

Sep 20, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 13
SR-LAMBDA or V3 Darths. Your choice.

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #13 of 13
Another Grado would be best option as you already found the sound for your liking. Dont let a single lemon turn you away from it. Sennheisers, unless you start to do some serious EQing, will always sound Sennheiser which means soft and laidback.

But you could try Beyerdynamic DT880. Not as laidback as Sennheisers, but also not as harsh as SR325i. Quite flat headphones with slight emphasis on highs, good for everything unless you want thumping bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back