HD650 First Impressions
Sep 12, 2007 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Ezer

Head-Fier
To begin with, I tended to be very skeptical when it comes to some of the things said about higher end headphones on this forum. I first came away from head-fi about two or three years ago with a HD580 and a simple Pimeta amp...throttled through the line out of my computer's soundcard
redface.gif
. Of course I was disappointed, and not knowing any better the HD580/Amp was quickly sold off without a second thought.

After that, my journey through head-fi led to a few sporadic purchases: A900, DT770, SR225, MDR-V6...they all sounded decent, but nothing out of this world. I ended up using the V6s the most out of any of them, mainly due to how decent they sounded without a quality amp. Eventually the pads of the V6s completely fell apart on me, and rather than replacing them I chose to go for a pair of HD595s, again based on feedback from here. In what was probably the fastest case of upgraditis ever the HD595s went back within 4 days and the HD650s came 3 days later, and here I am with a big **** eating grin on my face, rediscovering my whole music collection
biggrin.gif

The HD650s are so incredibly warm, so liquid, with a tight but not overblown bass (like the stock DT770s I tried before). And instruments are crystal clear and distinct from each other some how, compared to all the previous phones I've heard; this was something I didn't expect from reading all the K701 vs 650 debates here. Anyways, if this is how the 650 sounds on my underamped, undersourced setup (a relatively obscure AT-HA20 and Fubar II DAC) I can't even begin to imagine what the sound will be like with a few more upgrades!

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianomav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on your purchase. I love my hd650 too ... You'll love it even more when you get a better amp and DAC.

and maybe with a better cable

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 36
I know what you mean!

My dad picked up a HD580 when they were on sale. I thought they would have been very nice from all the reviews and how popular they were.

I was not impressed.

I did give the HD650 a shot though, and BOY!!!!!!!!! YEEE HA!
I do like them, a lot. Aside from that fact that the subtle sounds are not reproduced by it, it's such a great headphone for me. Smooth is right, and a very nice presentation.

I can see why people would have different flavors of headphones... I do myself. But if there was just one Sennheiser House sound headphone to get, it is surely the HD650. Great balance between SQ and price.

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 36
650 + Equinox + HeadAmp GS-1 = AUDIO BLISS!

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aside from that fact that the subtle sounds are not reproduced by it,

subtle sounds = details? Or what?

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #10 of 36
I've begun to love my 650s too.
smily_headphones1.gif
They're 9 days old now.

I initially stayed away, thinking my 580s weren't hugely dissimilar. I think they're a lot better. Well worth the jump. As long as you have a decent source.

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 36
Aren't the HD650's like the most popular headphone here? It seems to me like almost everyone who posts has a pair of their own. It just makes me wanna dish out money someday and get me my own pair to see what they're like. Hehe they're goes Head-fi tempting me again!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't the HD650's like the most popular headphone here? It seems to me like almost everyone who posts has a pair of their own. It just makes me wanna dish out money someday and get me my own pair to see what they're like. Hehe they're goes Head-fi tempting me again!
smily_headphones1.gif

That's exactly what I thought too!!! You say to yourself "well gee goly, if so many people have them, they must be good... right?".

I also thought to myself: 'I have to get a pair, just to see what they are like'. But man! They totally blew anything else I had out of the water.
I'm so happy I got them.

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
subtle sounds = details? Or what?

Yes, I use 'subtle sounds' and 'details' as meaning the same thing.

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

They have also come down to a reasonable price now too. They certainly weren't £170 when I got my 580s.

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #15 of 36
btw if anyone have a stock hd650 lying around unused, gimme a pm. ill buy them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back