HD650 fan. Like dark sound. Better "end game" for dark/veiled sound?
Jun 25, 2016 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Svperstar

1000+ Head-Fier
So I have been on headfi since 2004 and the way I tend to do things is buy a bunch of crap, then use it for years till it breaks. I rarely upgrade.

I am getting a promotion at work so I was thinking about the Sennheiser HD800s since they are "end game" for Sennheiser.

However I really like the dark sound of the HD650s. I recently got the AKG K7XX and I find it sounds thin compared to the HD650. Its cool to have but I don't like them as much as the HD650.

I am worried the HD800s will be a waste of money if they are too bright and thin. I sold my Sony MDR-SA5000s because I found the thin treble heavy sound wasn't very good long term.

So knowing that is there another expensive headphone that has a similar sound to the HD650 but will be an upgrade?

Rest of the gear is Dragonfly v1.2 -> Schiit Asgard 2.

Thanks

Jun 25, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 6
  So I have been on headfi since 2004 and the way I tend to do things is buy a bunch of crap, then use it for years till it breaks. I rarely upgrade.

I am getting a promotion at work so I was thinking about the Sennheiser HD800s since they are "end game" for Sennheiser.

However I really like the dark sound of the HD650s. I recently got the AKG K7XX and I find it sounds thin compared to the HD650. Its cool to have but I don't like them as much as the HD650.

I am worried the HD800s will be a waste of money if they are too bright and thin. I sold my Sony MDR-SA5000s because I found the thin treble heavy sound wasn't very good long term.

So knowing that is there another expensive headphone that has a similar sound to the HD650 but will be an upgrade?

Rest of the gear is Dragonfly v1.2 -> Schiit Asgard 2.

Thanks

HD800 is brighter than K7XX and also has less bass quantity.
HD800 is closer to K702 but still brighter.

If you like your HD650 and want to preserve its kind of sound signature then HD800 is not the way to go since it's pretty much the opposite.

You should consider the Audeze LCD-2 and LCD-3, both have better bass than HD650 and a similar sound signature overall.
You should also consider the new Focal Elear.

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 6
Another consideration may be the AQ Nighthawk (though I personally wouldn't use "dark/veiled" to describe 'em, some do).

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 6

HD800 is brighter than K7XX and also has less bass quantity.
HD800 is closer to K702 but still brighter.

If you like your HD650 and want to preserve its kind of sound signature then HD800 is not the way to go since it's pretty much the opposite.

You should consider the Audeze LCD-2 and LCD-3, both have better bass than HD650 and a similar sound signature overall.
You should also consider the new Focal Elear.

What makes me nervous about Audeze is they have a reputation for terrible build quality. I mean stops working after 3 weeks? Really. Kind makes me nervous. Also everyone says how ridiculously heavy and uncomfortable they are.

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 6
  Another consideration may be the AQ Nighthawk (though I personally wouldn't use "dark/veiled" to describe 'em, some do).

I had never even heard of this, thanks for the recommendation. Shows you how out of the loop I am. They sound like a really interesting headphone and like they specifically wanted to make one that is "dark". I might just order them.

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 6

What makes me nervous about Audeze is they have a reputation for terrible build quality. I mean stops working after 3 weeks? Really. Kind makes me nervous. Also everyone says how ridiculously heavy and uncomfortable they are.

Well, yeah that's Audeze!
I think they offer a 30 day trial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back