HD650: Equinox vs 6G iPod?
Oct 24, 2007 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dkpaul

100+ Head-Fier
Yesterday I bought a 6G iPod... it sounds a little better than the 4G.. more soundstage... better mid-highs... but not impressive. I spent $250...

But wait, I could get a new battery for my 4G(20GB) and spend the $200 or so in Equinox or Moon Audio's (forgot the name).

What would you folks do? I will stay portable for a while... until I can save enough for an Opera and a good CDP.

Which option would give me better SQ?

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm in pretty much the same boat with the 650. Here's what I did:

1) I have the Equinox on the way. I don't think it's going to solve your SQ problem out of the ipod. But, there is plenty of opinion that it will improve the 650 performance.

2) I ordered a Headamp Pico with DAC. The word is it's a fantastic new portable and may have the potential to get close to the SQ of a home amp. I'm hoping that will satisfy both my home and portable needs. I'll use it with my 5.5G IMOD and ALO cryo line out. Also will use with USB from my laptop and PC.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=257961

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=261440

The upcoming RSA Predator is also interesting:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=267640

3) In order to do that you'll either need to send your 4G to red wine audio for modification, or you could use the line out of the 6G. They don't plan on moding the 6G because apparently the G signal path to line out is much better than the 5.5 or 4G. You might be good just hooking up your 6G to a nice amp with the line out. You can read more here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...light=ipod+mod

You already have the Move, so up to you if you think the Pico might improve your situation.

If the Pico doesn't live up to the hype, I will either keep it and get a home amp later, or sell it and just use my Tomahawk.

Oct 25, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 11
would be happy to. Could take a little while though, not scheduled to ship until 12/8.

Oct 26, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 11
My recommendation would be to reprioritize your purchase plans. The HD650needs a powerful amp to sound its best. And the difference in SQ between a home amp and a portable is quite substantial. (I own a Corda Move, think it is the best portable amp that I have heard -- even relative to the RSA and HeadRoom offerings -- but it still leaves the HD650s sounding grainy and no where near as good as they sound through even a moderately priced home amp with a dedicated power supply.) Second, you should save up for a dedicated CD player. (Or if you want to stick with the iPod 4.0, go with the RWA iMod, which gets universal acclaim on this site and is much less expensive than a good CD player, which may cost $1K and up.)

If you are still not happy with your setup, consider a cable upgrade. However, a lot of Head-Fiers will tell you that a recable offers the lowest price/performance pay-off of any upgrade. I agree with that assessment. I took the plunge figuring the Equinox recable couldn't hurt and frankly I was pretty disappointed. It changes the sound signature but not in a significant way, at least to these ears.

Oct 27, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 11
This thread reeks of bad advice....

First of all, you need to decide if the HD650 is really for you, and also if you want to continue to use an iPod as your source. The HD650 is beyond the scale of an iPod and you will NOT hear even half its potential with even a budget portable amp from that iPod. If you want an iPod-centric system, ditch the HD650 and find another headphone, preferrably one you can use straight from the headphone jack - Audio-Technica and Grado are good brands to look into.

If you decide you like the HD650 right now as-is, then ditch the iPod and go looking for a USB DAC/amp for your computer (if you listen at your computer a lot) or a dedicated disc-based player. If you get the disc player you should go for a good AC-powered home amp at the same time. That kind of rig will allow you to hear a little more than half of the HD650's abilities.

Do NOT get the Equinox, or any other aftermarket cables, for the HD650 at this point. No offense but that's really just stupid given your source. Cables are a tweak, not necessarily an improvement, and the sonic difference won't show up (if at all) on portable gear. The difference would show up on something more like a $1K CD player lined out to a $500-$1K amp.

Best move to make IMO, do nothing right now and just keep saving up. Get the CD player & home amp later. Further down the line you can get the Equinox.

Oct 28, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread reeks of bad advice....

First of all, you need to decide if the HD650 is really for you, and also if you want to continue to use an iPod as your source. The HD650 is beyond the scale of an iPod and you will NOT hear even half its potential with even a budget portable amp from that iPod. If you want an iPod-centric system, ditch the HD650 and find another headphone, preferrably one you can use straight from the headphone jack - Audio-Technica and Grado are good brands to look into.

If you decide you like the HD650 right now as-is, then ditch the iPod and go looking for a USB DAC/amp for your computer (if you listen at your computer a lot) or a dedicated disc-based player. If you get the disc player you should go for a good AC-powered home amp at the same time. That kind of rig will allow you to hear a little more than half of the HD650's abilities.

Do NOT get the Equinox, or any other aftermarket cables, for the HD650 at this point. No offense but that's really just stupid given your source. Cables are a tweak, not necessarily an improvement, and the sonic difference won't show up (if at all) on portable gear. The difference would show up on something more like a $1K CD player lined out to a $500-$1K amp.

Best move to make IMO, do nothing right now and just keep saving up. Get the CD player & home amp later. Further down the line you can get the Equinox.

I agree, that's better advice. It probably could have been said without stating someone elses advice "reeks". But, better advice nonetheless.

I might just follow that advice myself. Except, I won't be ditching my Imod anytime soon, and I still want the Equinox, and I still want the Pico. AND I still want to keep the HD650. And when I fully realize the potential of my portable set up I'll probably be dissatisfied with the sound of the HD650 with it. SO, I'll either use my Shure SE530, or maybe get some lower impedance cans for a change.

And THEN, I'll probably pick up a nice usb DAC and a home amp, probably a GS-1 in order to show the HD650 the respect it deserves (which is why I bought it in the first place).

That's what works for me. Maybe it reeks. But then, I'm me, you're you.

Oct 28, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for the advice.

So my HD650 can delivery more than I'm listening now...

Quick question.
Does DAC/amp combo offer less SQ than separate DAC and AMP?

Darkvoice 332 goes for about $400 and I heard that a good DAC goes for about $200.
But Meier's Cantate is about the same level $550. Which do you recomend?

Oct 28, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a very cheap cd player and dac, and my amp is under $500 and an aftermarket cable was a 'huge' improvement for me. this is coming from a cable skeptic (at the time) and it wasn't until a fellow head-fier let me borrow his zu that i believed. It cleaned up the bass so much that it justified the cost and i had to get my own. i would recommend investing in an aftermarket cable for sure and listening for yourself.

Oct 28, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #11 of 11
Funny you mention that, I was considering the Opera and the Darkvoice. I was also looking at the Headamp GS-1 based on Asr's recommendation, since it's upgradeable and has a very good reputation. And also because I think he knows what he's talking about, even if he thinks I reek
wink.gif
Take this advice with a grain of salt, because I haven't heard either. In fact, just like you, I don't yet own a home amp. I have read a lot about both amps and haven't read much negative about either. I am very curious about about tube sound as well.

Personally, I'm all about flexibility. The reason I hesitate to buy a DAC/amp combination is it locks you in to that amp if you're committed to computer as source (which I am) Whereas if you have a separate DAC you can use it with any amp.

That begs the question, what's the best DAC for the money? Not certain. You might want to throw out a separate thread on that.

Regarding the Equinox, I pulled the trigger on that because I'm impatient. I think Asr's point is well taken. Wait on the cable, Man. Put your money towards a good amp and DAC first. You can always upgrade the cable later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back