HD650 earpads - do they have a shelf life ?
Jul 8, 2013 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Von Soundcard

100+ Head-Fier
I found a pair of new (sealed) earpads for my 650 at a local store. Thing is they are over a year old, could have 2 or even 3 years since manufactured. So to all who've ordered these: do this type of "velour" pads have a shelf life, that is after a time do they start to "age", does the material start to loose its properties ? Or are they ok to get even if they have sat (sealed) in a warehouse for years ? Thanks

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 5
you'll notice when they need to be replaced but no it's usually just whenever they get gross.  I think my last earpads on my HD590s lasted me almost 5 years but depends on how much you use them, if your ears sweat in them, etc.  At some point the foam will probably be less firm and at that point you might want to replace them (if you deem it necessary) but who you knows you might like them that way.  It's all personal preference really unless they start looking like a dog's chew toy :D

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 5
They degrade with wear -- hair/scalp/skin oils and pressure against your head will cause them to get gross and compress over time. Sealed pads should not be a concern.

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 5
Regarding my question, it only refers to new, unworn, unopened and sealed pads. I would like to know if these velour pads have a SHELF LIFE, meaning if the material starts to age and lose its properties WHILE ON THE SHELF, after 2-3 years.

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Regarding my question, it only refers to new, unworn, unopened and sealed pads. I would like to know if these velour pads have a SHELF LIFE, meaning if the material starts to age and lose its properties WHILE ON THE SHELF, after 2-3 years.

Above answers do not change -- the short answer is:

no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back