HD650/Earmax - what next?
May 30, 2010 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Breach

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have the Senn HD650 and have recently purchased an Earmax Pro amp - quite like the combo so far. What should be my next upgrade, hi-fi-wise? My source is my PC - creative x-fi champion card which will by upgraded to the Titanium HD once it comes out. As far as I understand I have the following options ahead of me:

a) A standalone DAC - has to be something perceivably better than the Creative one 
b) Replacement cable for the Senns
c) Quality interconnects - I'm using cheap ones right now

Money also matters, and I'm not the kind of person who'd spend 200 pounds on a 1.2m piece of wire too. Still, thoughts?

Thanks.

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #3 of 6
I'd say a DAC, and there is no need to upgrade cables (there is no real 'upgrading', just money wasting).

Instead of buying another soundcard why not use that on a DAC? Audio-GD DAC's are great for the money and are very well built, and you'll probably get a lot of Audio-GD recommendations.

Jun 1, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 6
I think you should first review the evidence for cable improvements and decide on your own whether they make any difference. 

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 6
If you haven't already, I'd recommend a little tuberolling before all else. TONS of variety out there for those tubes in the EMP to suit the kinds of music you listen to. Some cheap, some not too cheap. Then, when you've determined what tubes sound best (and still aren't broke), you can upgrade your source/cables.

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 6
I'd get a DAC and interconnects first. A good DAC makes an astounding difference in sound quality. Then, afterwards, put the icing on the cake with a replacement cable.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back