HD650 + D10 = Need More Power!
Oct 13, 2009 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

adrift

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I got myself an early birthday present and bought a pair of HD650s from another Head-Fier last week and they were delivered today. First impressions are that they sound like exactly what I was looking for in an upgrade from my Grado SR60s. I wanted to try a sound signature that was different from the Grados and this is definitely different. The only issue right now is that, before I knew I was going to be buying the HD650s I bought an iBasso D10 for a less power-hungry upgrade. The D10 is... sufficient with the HD650s, but I have the volume knob turned up to 4 o'clock... and it's just "okay" at this point. I turn it up any higher than this and it sounds like I hear slight clipping.

So it seems like I have a few options here. I can sell the D10 on the for sale section and recoup some of the cash I put into them and take that money and buy a cheap full-sized amp/dac like the HiFiMAN EF2 that I hear good things about. This seems like a quick, cheap, and easy way to go forward.

But then I hear wonderful things about amps from Woo Audio, DarkVoice, Compass, etc. and I just get more and more confused about what to do.

Here are my requirements... I really don't want to spend much more than $300 bucks for a full-sized amp... less if possible (without sacrificing sound quality of course), and if possible I prefer an amp/dac combo that way I can sell the D10 and use that money to get the full-size. But if the sound quality is really worth it, and fellow head-fiers recommend it, I'll hang onto the D10, use it as the DAC and get an amp on top of it. Also... tube amps are very appealing to me.

So yeah... this is my current issue. Can anyone offer a helping hand?

Thanks!

Oct 13, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #2 of 15
HD650 need good amplification, within your budget i'd buy a Little Dot MKII or MKIII, i'm using the MKII ( with better tubes than the stock ones though ) right now with my HD650 and it sounds right, it's an OTL design so it goes well with the high impedance senns.

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650 need good amplification, within your budget i'd buy a Little Dot MKII or MKIII, i'm using the MKII ( with better tubes than the stock ones though ) right now with my HD650 and it sounds right, it's an OTL design so it goes well with the high impedance senns.

Yep, the Little Dots were definitely on my radar. Thanks for the advice. What's the difference between the 2 and the 3 exactly? And I'm assuming I'll probably want to keep the D10 as a dac then...?

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 15
I'm using the HD650s with the Jade from Audiotailor - which is bang on your budget. Its a very very good synergy, I'm very happy with it. Its not quite as good as the Darkvoice 332 - 650 combo (slightly less soundstage) but the DV3322 is double your budget.

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using the HD650s with the Jade from Audiotailor - which is bang on your budget. Its a very very good synergy, I'm very happy with it. Its not quite as good as the Darkvoice 332 - 650 combo (slightly less soundstage) but the DV3322 is double your budget.

Thanks Tony. I'm not really that familiar with the Jade. On Audiotailor's website it goes for about $300. It looks like its just the amp, no DAC. How does it compare to similarly priced amps like the HiFiMAN EF2 (which I believe, comes with DAC), or the Little Dot amps? I have a feeling I might need to add a poll to this thread.

Edit: Hope I'm not being a nuisance with this thread, but I went ahead and added a poll.

Thanks again folks.

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by the chemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your source? I say get the lunchbox II and save up for a good DAC.

Source is either a Home PC or a Macbook, or quite possibly a cheap-ish Yamaha Receiver I bought a few years ago. If I use the D10, you think that'll suffice for a "good DAC"?

Oh bye the way... where would I even get an Eddie Current Lunchbox II? I hadn't paid any attention to it before you said something, and I can't find it for sale anywhere. Rarely seems to come up in the for sale area as well.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 15
I would save up for an audio-gd Roc. Later you can add a balanced dac and HD800s, and be in a very good place audio wise.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would save up for an audio-gd Roc. Later you can add a balanced dac and HD800s, and be in a very good place audio wise.

no... not really where I'm going with this. The Roc is about 800 bucks, and I just got the HD650s. Not interested in the HD800s at all at this point. Thanks though.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Source is either a Home PC or a Macbook, or quite possibly a cheap-ish Yamaha Receiver I bought a few years ago. If I use the D10, you think that'll suffice for a "good DAC"?

Oh bye the way... where would I even get an Eddie Current Lunchbox II? I hadn't paid any attention to it before you said something, and I can't find it for sale anywhere. Rarely seems to come up in the for sale area as well.

I really don't know too much about the D10 but I think it should be fine. I have heard rave reviews of the Eddie Current and the HD-600/650s but hadn't thought to check availability
o2smile.gif
I do recall seeing a lunchbox I on the FS forums recently but I would certainly look around.

I would take your headphones to a nice audio store and see what would benefit you the most. Run it through some decent dacs and amps and look at the amp/dac combinations as well. So many options and such a variety in taste makes things hard to narrow down.

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by the chemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't know too much about the D10 but I think it should be fine. I have heard rave reviews of the Eddie Current and the HD-600/650s but hadn't thought to check availability
o2smile.gif
I do recall seeing a lunchbox I on the FS forums recently but I would certainly look around.

I would take your headphones to a nice audio store and see what would benefit you the most. Run it through some decent dacs and amps and look at the amp/dac combinations as well. So many options and such a variety in taste makes things hard to narrow down.

Yeah, I think the Lunchbox is going to be pretty tough to find (looks cool though).

I don't have any places that sell amp/dac combinations anywhere within probably 90 miles of me. That's why I was hoping to hear some feedback from the forum.

Oct 13, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #12 of 15
Wow, lots of votes for "Other", but only 2 "other's" mentioned. If you have an other in mind, please let me know about it. Thanks!

Oct 14, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #13 of 15
Thanks for the votes and recommendations from everyone so far. Looks like a tie between the MKIII, Darkvoice, and Compass which really narrows things down for me and helps a lot.

A lot of votes for "other", but besides the Lunchbox (which is probably unavailable) and the Roc (which is out of my price range), I have no idea what the other 4 could possibly be.

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #14 of 15
Well it looks like the Compass is leading right now. I'm going to look into that a bit. Wonder how it sounds compared to a tube amp.

Oct 26, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #15 of 15
ÂÑÅ ÑÀÌÎÅ ËÓ×ØÅÅ ÂÇÐÎÑËÎÅ ÂÈÄÅÎ Ñ ÏËÀÒÍÛÕ ÑÒÐÀÍÈÖ ÄËß ÒÅÁß! ÇÄÅÑÜ ÁÅÇ ÑÌÑ!

icon.gif
çàâÿçàííûå ãëàçà - 47 Mb
icon.gif
àíàë - 80 Mb
icon.gif
çà ãîðîäîì - 82 Mb
icon.gif
ãîðÿ÷àÿ - 7 Mb
icon.gif
òðèî - 83 Mb

Quote:

óêðàäåííîå ÷àñòíîå ïîðíî ôîòî ñåêñ øîï êîìáèíåçîí ñìîòðåòü ñåêñ ìóëüòôèëüìû îíëàéí äåòè ìîëîäûå ïîðíî ñåêñ êîìèêñû ôîòî ôîòî ïîðíî çíàìåíèòîñòåé ñêà÷àòü áåñïëàòíî!!! ïîðíî ôîòî è âèäèî ñêà÷àòü ÷åðåç depositfiles ïîðíî èùó ìóæ÷èíó äëÿ ñåêñà ìîñêâà æåíñêèé ïîðíî ôîðóì ïîðíî âèäåî phpbb êðóòîå ïîðíî ñìîòðåòü ñåêñ âå÷åðèíêà â áóäàïåøòå âñå èãðû ìèðà ïðî ñåêñ ôîòî ïîðíî ñåêñ ìèíåò áåñïëàòíî, - êîðîòêèå ïîðíî ìóâèêè äîìàøíåå ïîðíî ôîòî ñòàðûõ æåíùèí ñåêñ øîï îäèí ïëþñ ñìîòðåòü ïîðíî ìóëüòèêè õåíòàé àðìÿíñêèé ïîðíî ñàéò ñåêñ ïî òåëåôîíó ñ ìóæ÷èíîé åëåíà áóøèíà ïîðíî ñåêñ çíàêîìñòâà â ãîìåëå; online ïîðíî ñî çðåëûìè æåíùèíàìè ñêà÷àòü ïîðíî ñ ñâåòîé áóêèíîé àðõèâ äåòñêîãî ïîðíî ñåêñ ñî çðåëûìè ðóññêèìè æåíùèíàìè ìàëîëåòêè ïîðíî îíëàé áåñïëàòíî ïîðíî ftp àðõèâ ïîðíî ôèëüìû îíëàéí òðàíñû èùó ïàðíåé äëÿ ñåêñà ïîðíî àíàë ñåêñ ìèíåò... ñêà÷àòü ñåêñ ñ òèëîé òåêèëîé ïîðíî ñ ìîëîäåíüêèìè ñòóäåíòêàìè æåñòêîå ïîðíî ìàòü è ñûí ïîðíî ôèëüìû vip áåñïëàòíûé ïðîñìîòð ïîðíî ãååâ îíëàéí õåíòàé ñåêñ ýðîòèêà ïîðíî ïî÷åìó òîøíèò ïîñëå ñåêñà... êàê ðàçâåñòè ó÷èëêó íà ñåêñ ïîðíî âèäåî ñ ìàìîé ñêà÷àòü ìèíè ïîðíî ðîëèêè ïîðíî ñåêñ òðåêåð ïîðíî ôîòî ñåêñ ñî ñòàðèêàìè ñêà÷àòü ïîðíî ðàññêàçû ìð3 ïîðíî ó÷èëêè áåñïëàòíî ñìîòðåòü îíëàéí ñåêñ çà äåíüãè â ìèíñêå, ÷åðòåíîê ðó ïîðíî ðîëèêè ïîðíî äåòñêèå ïèñè ñåêñ ðîìû è áåðêîâîé äåâóøêè ðÿçàíè äëÿ ñåêñà ëåñáèéñêèé ãðóïïîâîé ñåêñ æåñòêèé ñåêñ ñ êîíåì ñêà÷àòü èñïîëüçîâàíèå ñåêñ èãðóøåê ïîðíî èçíàñèëîâàíèå èçâðàùåíèå èíöåñ, - ïîðíî çðåëûõ ëåñáè ïîðíî áåñïëàòíî ñòàðèêè îðàëüíûé ñåêñ ñ æèâîòíûìè ðóññêîå ïîðíî òâ ïëåìÿííèê è òåòÿ îíëàéí ïîðíî æåñêîå ïîðíî ñ æèâîòíûìè.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back