HD650 built in clipping
Mar 6, 2006 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Gullanian

Head-Fier
Hi there,

I have a pair of HD650's, but no speakers in my room, so when my girlfriend comes over and we watch a film we turn the volume up pretty loud and place them infront of us, sound better than laptop speakers
tongue.gif
but is it damaging the headphones?

I can't help but be a little worried! But I did hear something about built in clipping?

Thanks!

Tom

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 11
Go to the store and pick up some cheap computer speakers. Headphones are ment to be used as headphones.
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 11
Clipping = distortion. "Built in clipping" would be a bad thing...certainly not something the marketing folks would want to hype up. It would be like selling CD players with built in skipping.

I'm guessing hd650's don't have built in clipping (in fact, I'm sure of it). I think ipod earbuds do though.
tongue.gif

hd650's as movie speakers = bad idea.

Peace,

Graz

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 11
That's a bad idea. Get some cheap $15 computer speakers instead.

The 650 should only clip at insanely loud volumes, or when plugged into an inadequate source.

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #11 of 11
Back in my college days I used to DJ one of our college's two radio stations. When things got slow we'd hang Koss Pro 4A's out the window, crank the vol. way up of the board, and use them to call the action for ad hoc baseball games on the quad. Within ten minutes they'd sizzle like bacon and go silent. The radio station manager couldn't figure out why he'd have to keep on replacing them
eggosmile.gif

Over the years i've become kinder and more gentle, even with headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back