HD650 break in
Aug 11, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #16 of 26
You don't burn in headphones but rather your ears.
basshead.gif

Aug 11, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #17 of 26
This reminds me of the hot topic of "breaking in" guitars. They took a minty fresh D-45 martin and slammed it through a sonic machine that vibrated that baby till it was loosy goosy. Guess what? No difference. But when a "new old stock" D-45 was compared to a beat up old D-45 played to the nines from the same year, the beat up one sounded like a dream.

What did that prove? The folks at Acoustic Guitar Magazine still haven't answered that one yet. My answer? One of those guitars got some lovin' the others didn't. So love your cans, use em, enjoy em, and you'll be rewarded!

Aug 11, 2004 at 9:26 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
they don't burn in or break in they "bed in"

agree on this even if the hd650 behavior s rather a "slaloming weird for bedding " then a bedding in ..

my hd650 settled on 250-300hr after some very bad behaviors ( boomy bass -> bass disappearing -> shrill highs ->burn in completed )

Aug 11, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
500 hours may be a realistic number if you only use your HD 650 during listening at normal or slightly elevated volume levels. With ~24 hours of dedicated (bass-)heavy break-in with very high volume levels you may manage to compress the break-in phase to ~150 hours, as in my case.

One thing that shouldn't be underestimated is the effect from headband break-in or wear-in. Initially the clamping force is very high, meaning that the drivers are pressed close to your ears, resulting in a dark and muffled sound. With loosening of the headband the sonic balance will be improved, and the treble will be more prominent. But there's also something happening with the driver. I've bended the headband to have the optimal comfort and sonic balance right from the start and nevertheless experienced some drastic changes with no uniform direction, obviously caused by driver break-in.

peacesign.gif

I use too to stretch band and separate some mms drivers from ears , this on my pleasure rather then keep the builder purpose ...

Jazz i always wondered if there's any chance of breaking the drivers with the *heavy duty* burning

Aug 11, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #20 of 26
Feb 5, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #23 of 26
Try bending the sliding metal pieces (that insert into the top of the headband) with care. Just flex gently outwards and put them back on your head to see if they are gradually getting less tight. Again, take your time, trial and error, and be gentle.

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #24 of 26
i've never found any changes after the 200hour burn-in mark in any headphone (not even ultrasones). i didn't notice any differences in the sound of my HD650s after 150 hours of burn-in with pink noise at higher than listening volume.

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
250+ hours

It should eventually sound like a HD600 with a perfectly smooth rolloff from 20hz to 20khz;

so... they're silent?

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so... they're silent?

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back