HD650 and SR225i amp considerations
May 14, 2009 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tb311

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so I finally got my HD650 and SR225i headphones and now I want to get a good amp that fits both of them well. I like the HD650 silky smoothness and the SR225i in your face sound and I would like an amp that works well with both of their characteristics if possible. Right now I currently have a Zero DAC/AMP and I was thinking of getting a headroom desktop amp/dac since I have read that it is pretty versatile. I also did some searches and I noticed that the Gilmore lite is recommended for both the amps but it doesn't have a gain switch, is that going to be problem? I also read that the LD MKV pairs good with my Zero DAC and the HD650 but how about the SR225? Also are there anymore amps that I should look into. As for my budget I would like to keep it around $200-400 used.

May 15, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 7
Darkvoice 336se does well with both of them.

May 15, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 7
Are there going to be any problems with the difference in the impedance with the HD650 and SR225 with the Darkvoice. Also the darkvoice would be my first tube amp, are there any special rules in taking care of a tube amp and will I need to change the tubes the darkvoice comes with to make it work well with both phones?

May 15, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 7
I have never heard the stock tubes. Have them though. Like the fact if I don't like the sound, can always change it. Hot rodded a few parts and really been enjoying it ever since.

May 16, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 7
I think both of these headphones would benefit more from tubes than SS amps, such as the headroom amp. I have the LD MKIVse with my SR225s right now and I think it sounds great. Definitely a much better match than using it straight out of my compass. The Darkvoice seems to be pretty popular as well, but since I have never had a chance to listen to one, I am just giving you a suggestion based on experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back