HD650 amplifier suggestions.
Apr 30, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:
The E12 won't do them justice. The magni despite packing a fair amount of power it will not bring out the lower end of the HD650's. That is something a tube amp can do with the 650's specifically.

Thanks for the reply, I've moved away from the E12 and other portable amps as per everyone's suggestions, also emailing a few stores around me and they're advising the same.

think I may pull the trigger on the M+M stack, they're relatively cheap and fall almost within my budget, plus I get a nice DAC with it too. I listened to the HD650's extensively last night unamped (as I've still yet to buy one ><) and the lack of punchy bass I mentioned before is not really a problem now, I think any amp I plug this into will provide the lower end that I'm looking for.

The mids however still bother me, they feel muddy and show no clarity, especially the vocals still feel veiled on some faster "pop" tracks. Again, I know this will be fixed with a decent amp, hence this post 
dt880smile.png

Regarding your tube amp suggestion, I've also looked at the Schiit Valhalla, but that's quite expensive! Not sure if the difference between the MM is worth the investment now as I would not be able to afford a DAC with the Valhalla. Will the mids and highs sound significantly different that the MM stack to warrant the upgrade?

Does anyone have any other alternatives to suggest that may be friendlier to the wallet? Please bare in mind that in the UK, I think my options are a little more limited/different than the US. I  am not really interested in DIY products either.

Aesthetics also play a part in my decision, the Schiit products do look great sitting on a desk.

Thanks in advance, 

Chris

Apr 30, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #18 of 24
There is no veil and definitely not when theyre well amped

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

+1. Measurements even show that the infamous claimed "HD650 veil" does not exist. The transition from a forward or bright sounding headphone for users will give the impression of the HD650's sound veiled sounding. This is not the case, it's just the way it's sound signature is supposed to be, dark and quite warm sounding. Although there is a bit of recessed sound in there, get a well powered neutral/bright amp, no longer the case.

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Quote:
+1. Measurements even show that the infamous claimed "HD650 veil" does not exist. The transition from a forward or bright sounding headphone for users will give the impression of the HD650's sound veiled sounding. This is not the case, it's just the way it's sound signature is supposed to be, dark and quite warm sounding. Although there is a bit of recessed sound in there, get a well powered neutral/bright amp, no longer the case.

Brilliant, pretty much the answers I was looking for! I was coming from a Bose AE2, but after trying on some better more expensive headphones, I couldn't really go back.

I hope the MM stack will power them well, also entertaining the idea of the Valhalla + Modi. Slightly out my price range but at a push it could be okay. Does anyone have any comments about whether there'll be a significant difference from the MM vs Valhalla? Just I don't want to be looking for an upgrade any time soon if I was to get the MM.

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Brilliant, pretty much the answers I was looking for! I was coming from a Bose AE2, but after trying on some better more expensive headphones, I couldn't really go back.

I hope the MM stack will power them well, also entertaining the idea of the Valhalla + Modi. Slightly out my price range but at a push it could be okay. Does anyone have any comments about whether there'll be a significant difference from the MM vs Valhalla? Just I don't want to be looking for an upgrade any time soon if I was to get the MM.

Bottlehead Crack but that is a bit out of stretch for you but man you will love it with the HD650's.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #23 of 24
Get the la figaro 339, it's a perfect match for the HD650. It doesn't get enough recommendation but it is a beautiful sounding combo.

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #24 of 24
I have the 650's for over a year.  I guess anyone who plops the cash down for one of these loves the sound signature.  Right?  In my opinion a neutral is always best.  However, there are tons of rave reviews for the pairing with bottlehead crack.  If you like DIY kits ad have the cah - don't think twice IMHO.

A great neutral amp, very transparent, and with enough power for the 650 ( and also mentioned by in your initial post ) is JDS Labs O2.  For 150 bucks you can't go wrong.  I have used the pair for a year and am pretty pleased.  Its not the crack sound, but it will enormousy add to your listening pleasure.  Oh and btw use a LOD from the charging port of your iPod to connect - it makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back