HD650 amplifier suggestions.
Apr 28, 2013 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Entreri

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I've recently purchased a pair of HD650s after listening to them for a good time at my local store.

Upon first use, they didn't really wow me straight away.

Let me just make it clear that I'm currently listening to them unamped and using just an ipod.

At the moment, listening to Billy Jean, the vocals sound a little lacking? Like it's a bit muffled (veiled?) and the bass is not as punchy as I would have hoped. The sound stage is great and it gives me goosebumps when I listen to certain tracks like 'Hotel California - The Eagles'.

I'm currently leaning towards the fiio e12 to power these cans, I would in the future be investing in a more expensive desktop set up. For now, with university and travelling back and forth from home, a portable set ups would be great.

Would the e12 or o2 amps clear up this veiled problem? I'm loving how warm the HD650s sound and wouldn't want to change them for another pair.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Chris

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 24
well yeah out of an ipod they're gonna sound terrible. 

umm fiio is good, as well as the M&M stack, hd 650s aren't too picky with amps.

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 24
Thanks for the reply, deliberating between the jds c5 and the fiio e12.

Would love for something to push the mids forward and also give a punchier bass, without distorting the vocals or anything else.

Would the two mentioned amps be significantly lacking compared to the m+m stack?

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, deliberating between the jds c5 and the fiio e12.

Would love for something to push the mids forward and also give a punchier bass, without distorting the vocals or anything else.

Would the two mentioned amps be significantly lacking compared to the m+m stack?

The M&M would be much better.

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #8 of 24
There are 3 amp's I'd consider with the HD650's.

1. Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball
2. RWA Issabilina or however you spell it
3. Singlepower sds xlr

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #12 of 24
Thanks for all the replies!

Quote:
The M&M would be much better.

Regarding the M&M, if you don't mind me asking, in what way would they be better? When compared to un-amped (just to compare) and also JDS C5 / Fiio E12. 

I'd be tempted by the M&M if trading in the portability of an E12/C5 for the stacks gave significantly better sound that I was looking for.

My budget is only around £150-200.

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #13 of 24
Been reading about the m+m stack all day and people have great things to say about them. The lack of a punchy bass and veiled sound right now that I'm experiencing, will that be changed with the m+m stack? Or would a e12 be more the direction I should be heading, with the bass toggle?

Thanks!

Edit:sp

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:
Been reading about the m+m stack all day and people have great things to say about them. The lack of a punchy bass and veiled sound right now that I'm experiencing, will that be changed with the m+m stack? Or would a e12 be more the direction I should be heading, with the bass toggle?

Thanks!

Edit:sp

The E12 won't do them justice. The magni despite packing a fair amount of power it will not bring out the lower end of the HD650's. That is something a tube amp can do with the 650's specifically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back