HD650: Amp under $300
Dec 23, 2006 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Kaluminati

Head-Fier
Just got these from a fellow member and I'm really diggin them. The sound is very smooth and less fatiguing than my DT770 pros and still have lots of bass, but I'd like to boost them a little more if I can afford it. I'm using a Pimeta amp. I know practically nothing about the technical side of amps, but here are my current specs of this pimeta:

AD8620 op-amp for the left and right channels
AD8610 op-amp for the ground channel.
Double stacked output buffers for the left and right channels
Single output buffer for the ground channel
Gain = 8
Blue LED
Panasonic EVJ potentiometer.
Metal film resistors (Precision matched to .01%)
Internal Tread linear regulated power supply with 24 volt AC adapter.

Is this one pretty good for these cans? I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg on an amp, so if you think I can't get any real improvement over this amp under the $300 range, please tell me
tongue.gif

I'm using an entech 203.2 number cruncher DAC. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Dec 23, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 15
What you have sounds very nice. If you ever want to experiment with a hybrid I would suggest the Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 at about $140 to $190 used. Another alternative could be the new Little Dot Micro Tube wich sells for $200, I am currently doing a review of it and at the 60 hour mark of burn in I am very positively impressed with its sound. Good luck.

Dec 23, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you have sounds very nice. If you ever want to experiment with a hybrid I would suggest the Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 at about $140 to $190 used. Another alternative could be the new Little Dot Micro Tube wich sells for $200, I am currently doing a review of it and at the 60 hour mark of burn in I am very positively impressed with its sound. Good luck.

I have the x-can v2 powering hd-600 and i think that they're a good match

Dec 23, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 15
I too have insanely modded V2...but you might also want to consider Eddie Current's Lunch Box. It suppose to have nice synergy with Senn HD6** and priced right.

Dec 24, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 15
Try to fit a stepped attenuator in there. You could get a kit, and add nicer resistors, for around 50 bucks..Use top of the line capacitors, and that would be a nice small amp thats big on sound..

Dec 24, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 15
I just got a fully modded xcanv3 for $300. and it sounds great!

I've ordered some HD600 to go with it. I'm using a pair of DT880's on loan and they sound a little thin, I'm hoping the 600's will have a fater sound.

Dec 24, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 15
In addition to other great recommendations, if you want something portable, you can more than likely find a used hornet Hornet or Portaphile Maxxed floating around the FS/FT forums ($180-/+$300). I believe the Portaphile has the AD8610 that you're familiar with, don't know about the Hornet.

Something like an NE5534 Class A biased--Gives the bass on the HD 650 a bit more slam and authority.

The AD797 is probably an even better choice of opamp. Supposedly it does everything a 627/637 does but better, with just a little bit less bass slam.

Dec 25, 2006 at 10:19 AM Post #11 of 15
Yeah, try to search around the Buy/Sale forums...I just got a Hornet for under $300.

Of course, I had to wait almost a year for such a timely deal, but...
tongue.gif

Dec 25, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Janus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the portaphile v2^2 maxxed with lt1210 and 1500 caps synergize very well with the senns

I'm rather inclined to disagree -- if my X^3 with BUF634 and LT1210 is anything near the amp you're talking of (and I can't see why it shouldn't be), then that's nothing near what the HD650 requires to sound at its best (i.e. not just balanced and detailed and dynamic, but complete/lifelike/emotional).

Dec 25, 2006 at 11:38 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by decur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
headroom micro amp has fantastic synergy with senns hd650, really bringing them to life. at $299

That is something that me thinks good for the Senns.

Dec 25, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #14 of 15
Obviously it is *slightly* underpowered, and I think thats what you mean, but then its pretty portable.. I liked the micro, but then it does have many aspects of the pimeta described by the op. No doubt the micro is a good choice, and an improvement, but silly me, I was under the impression he wanted some kind of portable amp..

If he wants a desktop then no doubt the headroom micro with desktop chips would suffice.

Dec 25, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #15 of 15
Never mind...my previous post was probably a bit too harsh...

My remark was merely concerned with a possible "tonality mismatch" -- I felt that my Portaphile didn't have the 'passion' that's needed (IMO) to really bring the HD650 alive. Such a thing the Micro Amp should have to a good extent instead, afaik.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back