HD600s Too Bright; HD650 or New Amp?
Jan 8, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #16 of 77
The hd600s are slightly bright when the pads are brand new but when they get old, it also becomes a little too dark
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #17 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please stop colouring this thread....

Sorry, Mother. It's just that I had the crayons out and thought, "Why not...?"

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #18 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaspirit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would "upgrade" to the hd650's. I did not notice how bright the hd600's were until I compared the too. It was like comparing the original sr325's to my sr325is's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The hd600s are not bright at all. They're very neutral. I'm guessing you just like a dark sound.

And the debate rages on...

Just wanted to add that before I decided that I was keeping my HD600's I ordered some 650s and returned them three days later. I had finally found some synergy with the 600s, and did not think I could deal with the "veil of darkness" on the 650s.

I think the benefit of the 650s are that they aren't so picky with amplification, and they won't fatigue you so much, as the highs are more rolled off than sharp. I thought the 600s were more detailed and transparent though.

As you have seen, it's hard to find someone that likes both of these headphones, so you will have to decide for yourself. If Grados aren't too bright for you I would try the HD600s.

happy trails
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #19 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by jclaytonsound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think that the headphone signature is wrong for me, and perhaps I should invest in an HD650? Or is it an amp issue?

Yes to both, lol "sorry about your wallet"
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #20 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The hd600s are slightly bright when the pads are brand new but when they get old, it also becomes a little too dark
biggrin.gif

Headband bending has the same effects and may be used to compensate pads wearing off.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #21 of 77
For what its worth, I found that certain recordings were harsh on some bright headphones (ER4S - which i love - and "Billie Jean" comes to mind... Pretty much unlistenable), from the LDMKIII but not so from an HR2.

I was using stock power tubes and big shield mullard M8100s which are known to have rolled off highs. So it might be relevant to you.

The HD650 is probably closer to what you are after though.

Also you might be into the ray samuels sound at least from the hr2 (which seems tipped to the warm side slightly).

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #22 of 77
OP, how much time do you own the 600? perhaps give it a little more burn in time and if you still don't like the sound in let's say...300-400 hours mark,get the HD650 instead.
I experienced the same issue,believe it or not,with the HD650. when new,they sounded very bright and aggresive in the high mids and was unlistenable. after about 200-300 hours they really improved, the bass became stronger and the mids...well I probably got used to. they are still not a "bass monsters" but they have nice and warmish tone to them...especially when paired with my earmax pro.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #23 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To OP: does your HD600 clamp well? If its headband is loosen by any reason then the sound becomes brighter indeed. And vice versa. I did this trick with my HD650, seeking for more brightness
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

biggrin.gif

The cans clamp very well as a matter of fact. The pads are almost brand new, which I like the feel of. So if the pads were more worn (and closer to my ear) it would be a touch darker?

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #24 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP, how much time do you own the 600? perhaps give it a little more burn in time and if you still don't like the sound in let's say...300-400 hours mark,get the HD650 instead.
I experienced the same issue,believe it or not,with the HD650. when new,they sounded very bright and aggresive in the high mids and was unlistenable. after about 200-300 hours they really improved, the bass became stronger and the mids...well I probably got used to. they are still not a "bass monsters" but they have nice and warmish tone to them...especially when paired with my earmax pro.
bigsmile_face.gif

I've had them for a couple of years I believe, but I bought them used. I don't think the original owner had too many hours on them though. I just burned in another 100 hours over the last few weeks to see if it would help, but there doesn't appear to be any change that I can detect. I don't want to get into a "burn-in" debate, but I'm just not sure if burning really changes the signature all that much. I appreciate the advice though; perhaps I'll put on a few more hours and see what happens.

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #25 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by jclaytonsound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cans clamp very well as a matter of fact. The pads are almost brand new, which I like the feel of. So if the pads were more worn (and closer to my ear) it would be a touch darker?

a touch darker because the upper bass to mids become a little stronger relative to the other frequencies when pads are closer to the ears. You can try and see what I mean by pushing them in a bit
biggrin.gif
Just dont cover the back of the cans while doing it.
beerchug.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #26 of 77
Quote:

a touch darker because the upper bass to mids become a little stronger relative to the other frequencies when pads are closer to the ears. You can try and see what I mean by pushing them in a bit
biggrin.gif
Just dont cover the back of the cans while doing it.
beerchug.gif

x2

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #27 of 77
I once had a similar problem, everything was sounding bright. It turned out my old Sony dvp 905 (or what ever it was named) was to blame.

I see you've tried a different source and it didn't make a world of difference. I have very limited experience with the HD600, on portable rig with a cmoy, but I cannot remeber it beeing even remotely bright.

Are the pots correctly positioned on your amp? I have not used tube equipment my self, but from what I understand different tubes may require different pot settings. Or maybe it's just poor synergy between the HD600 and the "layout" of your ear canal?
smily_headphones1.gif

Knut

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #28 of 77
Just check the link in my sig.

My 7 years old hd 600 have earpads that are a bit thicker and taller than the new replacement pads i bought last year.

The sound with the new ones is a bit darker because the drivers come a bit closer to the ears.

With the older taller pads,the sound is more airy and spacious,and have more treble emphasis.

I also experienced sibilance and bright sound with my hd600,but when i bought a headphone amp(x can v8),the problem was solved.

If you can,please post a picture of your hd 600 so i can tell if you have the older or the new pads on your cans.
Maybe your problem will be solved if you get a pair of new replacement pads from sennheiser.

Jan 8, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #29 of 77
Let's insert some measurements into this. Our good friends at Headroom provide very nice Frequency Response diagrams that are awesome for compare/contrast sessions:

graphCompare.php

The main differences between the 600s and 650s are in the bass department, the 2,000-6,000 khZ region, and in the 10,000-20,000 khZ region. It's VERY possible that your ears are sensitive in the last item. Go to Headroom and poke around for cans that have a LOWER response than the HD600s. The 650s would be a good start, (TAKE ADVANTAGE of HR's 30-day guarantee) but don't be surprised if they don't solve your problem. It wouldn't be a bad idea to run some test tones to see which one your ears are most sensitive to. Once you figure that out, you simply look for something with a really LOW response in that department.

Hope this helps!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #30 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by TStewart422 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's insert some measurements into this. Our good friends at Headroom provide very nice Frequency Response diagrams that are awesome for compare/contrast sessions:

graphCompare.php

The main differences between the 600s and 650s are in the bass department, the 2,000-6,000 khZ region, and in the 10,000-20,000 khZ region. It's VERY possible that your ears are sensitive in the last item. Go to Headroom and poke around for cans that have a LOWER response than the HD600s. The 650s would be a good start, (TAKE ADVANTAGE of HR's 30-day guarantee) but don't be surprised if they don't solve your problem. It wouldn't be a bad idea to run some test tones to see which one your ears are most sensitive to. Once you figure that out, you simply look for something with a really LOW response in that department.

Hope this helps!
smily_headphones1.gif

I wish I could hear in the 2,000-6,000KHz region, but I'm not an alien
dt880smile.png
I assume you meant the 2000-6000Hz range and the 10,000-20,000Hz range, and yes I am a bit sensitive to the higher end of the frequency spectrum, particularly in a headphone situation where the drivers are so close to the ear.

Funnily enough, the AKG K-501s I own seem to have more of the higher frequency spectrum than the Sennheisers, yet they do not hurt my ears at all. Must just be a more balanced sound overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back