HD600s foam touching one ear?
Jan 23, 2004 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Anyone else have the issue of one side (foam) rubbing against the ear and the other not? I haven't had this happen with any other phones, though the space for them is usually less (so both sides touch something). This may just be the variance of distance between my two ears and my head, but it's kinda irritating and I haven't found a position to get rid of it. Anyone else?

Jan 23, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 15
Both of mine touch, and it's pretty annoying, but I guess it's funnier with only 1 touching. Have you tried any of the foam mods?

Jan 23, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 15
blessingx, perhaps the pad is worn down on one side more than the other? Or maybe you have a misshaped head
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 15
It sounds like you have an asymetrical head. You might want to beat your head into the right shape, but be warned about possible brain damage and bleeding.

A more practical solution is to modify, build, or install different headphone pads for your headphones. Or you can have someone else listen to your headphones for you.

Jan 23, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 15
Before you build new pads, I would try the foam mods. It changes the sound, and that's what some people prefer. I used it for many months and was very happy until I came across an old recording that was just to shrill with the foam removed. I put it back and was too lazy to take it out ever since.

With the foam replaced with some thin hosiery, my ears no longer touched anything. YMMV.

Jan 23, 2004 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 15
Thanks guys. I shave my head so see my skull, and except for the possibility a Phrenologist would say I have a propensity for criminal behavior, I don't see a problem.

What foam mods are you referring to ooheadsoo? And these are brand new so shouldn't be worn down.

EDIT: Typed slowly. Oh hose.

Jan 23, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 15
There was quite a long thread a while back with all of us chiming in on the foam mod. It's simply taking off the ear pads and replacing the foam with a piece of hose or some other piece of material. It changes the sound a lot, dampening the bass by a great degree and opening up the upper range. You can experiment with different materials and thicknesses, with hose probably being the most revealing and bass dampened. Among the guys with golden ears on this board, I think JaZZ was a huge proponent of the mod.

Jan 23, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 15
Thanks much. If that doesn't work I'll try to smash the other side down. Both touching would be leagues above one in the irritation department.

Jan 23, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Oooo. I'm gonna have to try the panty hose trick. Either way, the store clerk is going to think I'm a cross dresser or burgler.

Although, according to my username, the former is more likely.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

haha, yea I was in wal-mart comparing panty hose by feelings its texture and then seeing how transparent they were by holding some up to my ear (ended up with the cheapest stuff but thought it was the best). When I started there were about 4-5 women around, within minutes they all disappeared.

Jan 23, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by TheMuffinMan_01
yeah i have that a little bit. not a big problem, i knew my one ear was a bit screwy.

Totally OT: Lost in translation?

Jan 23, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #15 of 15
This has never happened to me with sennheiser headphones but is a continuous experience with all of the beyer headphones that I've listened to (DT250, 770, 880).

Nothing wrong with it, you may want to experiment with the tightness of the foam pads and possibly detach the velour pads and reposition them in order to get the foam to be a bit more flush against the driver covering. I find this basically eliminates the problem.

Cheers,
Geek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back