HD600s and Tomahawk: First Impressions
Jun 11, 2007 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Agphoto

100+ Head-Fier
So I just received my HD600s in the mail today (Thanks Ken!) And I immediately ran upstairs to plug them into my little rig I've started to build.

First off, here is the setup I was using:

8GB Nano -> ALO Jumbo Cryo Copper -> RSA Tomahawk -> HD600

I have to say, without personally having heard a different/better amp setup yet, I am very very impressed with the TH's ability to drive the 600s, I didn't have the volume at a 12 o'clock position and it was nearly too loud.

Sonically however, it is just wonderful. The sound is kind of set back (not as in-your-face as my grados) but it provides a really almost relaxing experience, even with opera metal like Therion. The detail is truly amazing, and the mids extend very well. To me the bass is there, w/o being too over-the-top. Which is exactly what I was hoping for. I don't necessarily want the bass to rattle my head loose. But I do want to be able to hear it
smily_headphones1.gif

All I can say is I am very impressed, and very pleased at the capabilities of my setup. I may in the future try to acquire a hornet as I hear the two are a match made in heaven. But for now. I'm actually done.

541518083_a901ae109b_o.jpg

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 22
How many hours is your Tomahawk burned in???

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 22
I would say almost 100hrs now ( I've been listening to it constantly and leaving it running overnight. )

I would presume it can only get better!

Jun 12, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How come nobody commented about that picture yet?
blink.gif

Yes. Rather strange, isn't it?

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 22
Isn't Ray known for liking the HD 600's? To me this setup would be a gimme.

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #9 of 22
My question is why did you choose a Tomahawk; an amplifier designed to drive IEMs instead of a Hornet or SR-71 which is designed more generally for cans and IEMs alike?

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My question is why did you choose a Tomahawk; an amplifier designed to drive IEMs instead of a Hornet or SR-71 which is designed more generally for cans and IEMs alike?

Probabley for Ety ER4P/S in his sig.

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #12 of 22
Well in response to the picture, what can I say, Photobooth causes interesting things to happen.

and to answer the duke. I chose the tomahawk due to finances. Budget wise it was tougher to pay that $400 for the hornet. However, I may still try to get the hornet eventually.

Regardless, I'm still personally happy with my choices, and to me and my ears. it sounds very good.

Jun 12, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How come nobody commented about that picture yet?
blink.gif

That picture is hilarious!

OP: Glad that you've found your sound, the HD 6xx are very good; aren't they? I'd like to find something similar to them in an enclosed application, then I could say, without a doubt that I was DONE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back