hd600s and Cardas are a sweet combo!
Feb 9, 2008 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

mr. nice

500+ Head-Fier
just been doing some listening to that combo and i dig it a lot. i might have come down on the HD600s a little hard b4. i guess i just didn't dig the hd600 Equinox combo (too much treble and airiness) but i think they match up very very well with the Cardas.

Feb 9, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 18
yeah, cardas simplely makes HD600 more HD600.

Feb 9, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 18
I agree. HD600 and Cardas is extremely musical. Other phones may be more "audiophile" and do some cool tricks, but the HD600s deliver the musical message. They have a great tone and body from top to bottom. I will never let mine go.

Feb 9, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 18
"They have a great tone and body from top to bottom. I will never let mine go."

X2. I have been listening to the K501s more lately, but the 600/Cardas is the most "complete" sound I have heard - great through the range, with just the right mid-forward presentation. And great for every type of music too. Love 'em.

Feb 10, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by classic_rock_69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree.

What source/amp are you using?

Grace Design M901. Im coming from listening to lots of Grados, favorite being the HP-1 and RS-1 (vintage version). My initial impression of the HD600s wasn't so hot but that was with an Equinox cable which for some reason didn't impress me and made me dislike the HD600. I actually like them more with the stock cable.

My favorite cans still are/were the RS-1s and HP-1s, but the HD600s are very sweet sounding especially for the price. Im a bit skeptical about the HD650s even though I never heard them just cuz of the extra bass.

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #7 of 18
Would you say the Cardas wire on the HD600 rolls off the highs? One of the few things I'd like to "improve" on the 600s is their top octave, which I find a bit reticent, specially compared to electrostatics. The stock cable is quite alright for me in the midrange, but a tad bit of extra lushness wouldn't hurt, nor a slight added tightness in bass. Does the Cardas wire provide that without sacrificing detail or highs extension?

Rgrds.

Feb 10, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. nice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grace Design M901. Im coming from listening to lots of Grados, favorite being the HP-1 and RS-1 (vintage version). My initial impression of the HD600s wasn't so hot but that was with an Equinox cable which for some reason didn't impress me and made me dislike the HD600. I actually like them more with the stock cable.

My favorite cans still are/were the RS-1s and HP-1s, but the HD600s are very sweet sounding especially for the price. Im a bit skeptical about the HD650s even though I never heard them just cuz of the extra bass.

The bass is a myth if you have a good amplifier. Then it will completely control the so called bloomy bass. Most of the time people have bad synergy with the amp.

hd600/cardas combi is indeed a very nice combo. I had this combo before my hd650 and loved it.

Feb 10, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

just been doing some listening to that combo and i dig it a lot. i might have come down on the HD600s a little hard b4. i guess i just didn't dig the hd600 Equinox combo (too much treble and airiness) but i think they match up very very well with the Cardas.

thats the combo that i was about to sell you =) havent heard the equinox so i cant really comment about that but the cardas for hd600 is super sweet

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #12 of 18
wah, you made me feel anxious for that already... Gotta try it one day...

Anybody want to let theirs go?
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #13 of 18
10inch are like 175 US$ while the 15inch are 250 US$. they do pop up here 2nd hand for less. I actually had mine up for sale but then the magic happened.
biggrin.gif
I don't think it's like night and day kinda stuff like i heard with the Equinox. I also like the look and feel of the Cardas more, but then again that's just me cuz I know lots who love the Equinox.

All this is getting me really interested in the HD650
eek.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

10inch are like 175 US$ while the 15inch are 250 US$. they do pop up here 2nd hand for less. I actually had mine up for sale but then the magic happened.
biggrin.gif
I don't think it's like night and day kinda stuff like i heard with the Equinox. I also like the look and feel of the Cardas more, but then again that's just me cuz I know lots who love the Equinox.

All this is getting me really interested in the HD650
eek.gif

so you want to let go of the HD600 to get to the HD650?
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you say the Cardas wire on the HD600 rolls off the highs? One of the few things I'd like to "improve" on the 600s is their top octave, which I find a bit reticent, specially compared to electrostatics. The stock cable is quite alright for me in the midrange, but a tad bit of extra lushness wouldn't hurt, nor a slight added tightness in bass. Does the Cardas wire provide that without sacrificing detail or highs extension?

If you are looking for an electrostatic style top end, I would say no, the HD600s will never deliver that without eq added. The K701 comes a lot closer to that airy top end. The Cardas does add the lushness in the mids and tightness in the bass allowing you to hear how low it is actually going.

Above all though, they are true to the source. These are very accurate phones despite the fact that their presentation is not in-your-face or analytical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back