HD600 with Decent Amp/DAC vs. JH13 Pro
Mar 16, 2010 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

milesandcoltrane

100+ Head-Fier
Initially I was hell bent on getting the JH13 but now I'm kinda in a quandary.

The HD600 with a decent Amp and DAC still sound bigger and fuller than the JH13 but then that's just a function of headphones vs. IEMs. The JH13 universals I tried trump the HD600 in detail and the nuances that can be heard - they're a treat.

The JH13 has the bonus of being extremely portable vs a fixed sit at home setup with the HD600.

What dya guys think? Feel free to exchange the HD600 with something equally full-sized.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 12
sadly no. I haven't been able to do that cuz they're located in 2 different shops. i could try tho, cuz the store with the jh13 demo also carries the hd600 if i'm not mistaken.

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 12
No comparisons. The jh13pro are compared to hd800 for a reason.
get the jh13pro and you won't regret it. but i do think it's nice to have a good pair of full size and an IEM.

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 12
yeah sling5s I do agree that the jh13pro is technically superior to the hd600. on the universal demo version at least the big airy lush sound on the hd600 is nowhere to be found. as i said before i'm probably a tad mad to want that big sound from an iem. maybe the custom version would be better enough to warrant living with the 'smaller' sound. and maybe after having lived with the 13 for a few months down the road i'd come to prefer that 'smaller' sound. bleah. i hate having to wait for money to come in to get my 13s. initially i was hell bent right after the audition. but now as the days have gone by i keep second guessing my decision.

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 12
I haven't heard either headphone, but from the outside looking in, it sounds like if you get the JH13, you're not going to be completely satisfied and you'll probably find yourself always wanting the "big" sound. If you don't need portability, you might want to forgo the big expense of the JH13 for the time being and get something full sized first. However, if you need portability, I think the answer here is pretty clear.

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by pj_rage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard either headphone, but from the outside looking in, it sounds like if you get the JH13, you're not going to be completely satisfied and you'll probably find yourself always wanting the "big" sound. If you don't need portability, you might want to forgo the big expense of the JH13 for the time being and get something full sized first. However, if you need portability, I think the answer here is pretty clear.

I understand this. I sold all my headphones to fund some universals IEMs, but IEMs just coulnd't give me the 'big' sound, not even IE8. That's why I am searching for headphones again...

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 12
Not even a fair comparison. Many people say that JH13 are superior to HD800 in detail retrieval (and more importantly fun factor while remaining neutral).

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 12
I had the hd650 and have the hd800. I know it's hard to believe, but once you adjust to the IEM, their soundstage/headstage is just as big. I would say it's bigger than the hd650 but not quite as big as the hd800.

The sound is not small at all.

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 12
Just from what I've heard, the JH-13's soundstage is bigger than many full sized cans, with details and neutrality on par with the HD800. This seems pretty clear to me

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 12
That's what I'm hearing (as in reading on Head-Fi) that the soundstage is bigger than most high-end full sized cans.

But when I tried the universal version, I would definitely say that the soundstage is alot more precise than say the HD600 or the DT880 (which I tried some time back). Spatial cues are more pronounced and instrument separation is wider.

However the HD600 still has a bigger, more enveloping sound.

JH13 universal demo: Music still plays in your head
HD600: Music plays around you (surrounds you - not much like speakers but closer to them than the universal JH13.

I'm hoping that the custom version of the JH13 would surround me vs. just play music in my head. Though I'm not sure if this is physically possible since its a open backed can vs. IEM affair.

Mar 17, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #12 of 12
A JH13/Twag balance cable/RSA Protector combo gives out an out-of-head soundstage. It was an eye opening experience for me when I listened to it at a meet. The images were also a lot bigger than with a stock cable running single ended through the Protector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back