HD600 with $300 amp or D5000 for rock/pop
Sep 27, 2009 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tylernm

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Just recently decided to upgrade from my Ultrasone HFI 550 which I used to use from DJing a while back. My new to-be-decided headphone amp combo is for rock/pop listening with some Jazz and R&B mixed about. Example artists:

The Who
Oasis
Kings of Leon
John Legend
Herbie Hancock
Melody Gardot

I've got a Cambridge DACmagic for my source and currently I'm running a bass boost Cmoy (JDS Labs) as my amp which uses a Texas Instruments OPA2227PA. I notice a bit of noise coming through the Cmoy on my HD595 and Ultrasones. Both of these are under 100ohms so I suppose that's to be expected.

I just got the HD595 which I'm testing. I love the detail in those that was lacking from my Ultrasones. However, I miss the visceral impact and punch of my Mackie reference monitors. This has led me to believe an HD600 or Denon AH-D5000 would fill my needs, but which would be best for my tastes? I prefer a more forward sound with full mids and solid bass. At this stage I'm pliable, and since this headphone setup is for musical fun and extended listening, I probably wouldn't mind a bit of color.

Thanks to any responders.

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 5
Unfortunately, I haven't heard the Denon AH-D5000, but I do have the HD650s and have spent quite a bit of time with the HD600s...

Both of the Sennheisers will give you the full mids that you seek... in my opinion, the HD650s have more bass impact, but the verdict is still out on which ultimately handles it better (many believe the HD600).

However, either of them in my opinion are quite laidback... any easy mod to perform on either of them is to remove the damping material that lays over each driver... you can replace it with something slimmer to help reduce any glare and keep dust out (streched nylon, etc.). Many members here have applied this mod because they don't much like the "veil" of the Sennheisers and enjoy the brighter more forward sound they gain from the mod. I've found that it can take away from the mid-range bliss I enjoy... Either way it isn't a permanent mod...

As far as amps, I really enjoy my Darkvoice 336se that can be picked up new for around $300 with shipping... but you'll want to replace the stock tubes which will raise the price... they are a great match for the HDs.

It would be best to first decide on which headphone you'll be going with before committing on an amp... if you are looking for a forward closed can with bass impact, look further into the Denon's; if you want mid-range bliss and balance, then check out the open backed Sennheisers...

Hope this helps...
normal_smile .gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #4 of 5
The D5000 is a more forward headphone with good mids and excellent bass, more impact/quantity/quality bass than a HD650 IMO. You could get it Markl modded to get even better, more controlled bass, but you loose out on the mids then and the phones become brighter.

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 5
I would also go with HD600 with good (or decent) amp. I think HD600 is really good for all-around headphone. If you are planning to keep one or two headphones, HD600 is a really good choice IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back