HD600 vs. RS1
Oct 5, 2002 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
Which phone do you perfer?

Oct 5, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 31
I am just curious because I want to get one of them.

I have a pair of Sr80s, how do each of these phones sound in comparison?

Oct 6, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 31
I'm no fan of the fake-y Grado house sound. FWIW, I'd steer you toward the vastly superior HD600. On the other hand, if you're already accustomed to the Grado sound, maybe the HD600 will sound "weird" to you. With the RS1, at least you're pretty much "guaranteed" to like it better than the SR80.

Mark

Oct 6, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 31
my opinion- They are both excellent phones, that will sound great to most people, but they have different needs when it comes to the amplifier they are connected to. If you want the best from either phones, consider the amplifier as part of the picture.

Oct 6, 2002 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 31
Besides the amp matchup which Budgie points out, I think the type of music you enjoy is also critical in determing which 'phone you prefer. If classical music was my mainstay, I would probably go with the HD-600. But for my musical tastes (and my 54 year-old ears), the RS-1's more forward presentation is a better fit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 31
I like to rock out to my grados. I have never heard the hd600's though.

Biggie.

Oct 6, 2002 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
I'm no fan of the fake-y Grado house sound. FWIW, I'd steer you toward the vastly superior HD600. On the other hand, if you're already accustomed to the Grado sound, maybe the HD600 will sound "weird" to you

Vastly superior? I don't think so. It is "weird" all right, also boring, polite, tame, with an amorphous wooley bass. I find the RS-1 a much better phone, better detail, clarity and dynamics.

Oct 6, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

boring, polite, tame, with an amorphous wooley bass

He he. I'm the last person that would argue with you over the HD600's overall "wooliness".
wink.gif
Without a replacement cable, the highs are constrained and muted.

If I had my druthers, I'd reco the under-rated Sony CD3000 as the ideal solution, but that was not posed as an alternative in the original post.

Mark

Oct 6, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #11 of 31
Thanks guy. I am curious, how are the Hd600s for rock?

Oct 6, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
Thanks guy. I am curious, how are the Hd600s for rock?

I have the 580's (most people here say their 90% of the 600's) and they work well with every Genre which makes them very appealing.

Oct 6, 2002 at 10:02 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
To my ears, they're OK................but they're no Grado SR-325s.
biggrin.gif

LOL...Bob. You're damn strait! Especially with an EarMax Pro...

wink.gif

Oct 7, 2002 at 12:23 AM Post #15 of 31
I found the HD-600 to be a good headphone, (I tried it with the RA-1) but with that measly set-up, it sounded, compared to the RS-1, very bass-heavy and less punchy and captivating. Obviously it would be much better with amps like the Max, which is (save the Blockhead) arguably one of the best amps for the HD600. The RKV is supposed to do well too.

Some say it becomes a different animal with the Max, for many people who have never really liked the HD600 liked it with that amp. A good example of this is with Head-Fier Matt, who before hearing the HD600's through the Max, really hated the HD600's; afterwards he really liked that combo.

Also, when bought at significantly below retail price (@ $400-$450 new) the RS-1 is of better value only because the HD600+replacement cable and an amp cost more. But when you start adding expensive amps to either headphone, their value becomes near the same, and music preference and preferred style of presentation take a determining role.

So, perhaps if I could afford a Max or RKV, I might get the HD600 instead of the RS-1. But they're both great headphones and are definitely in the same league, IMO.

Quote:

Painfully bright in most cases.

They most likely won't be with a good tube amp. The highs may also be "smoothened" as a result
tongue.gif

Quote:

and [the HD-600] work well with every Genre which makes them very appealing.

Many people, including myself, aren't too hesitant to call the RS1's versatile as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back