Hd600 vs He90
Sep 25, 2005 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Chefguru

Headphoneus Supremus
For a while now I've been planning on going for the he90, specially now with the new batch(s). My real reason to want to get the he90 was for it's ultimate (realistic) soundstage. After messing around with the r10 (huge soundstage, but not very real) and l3k (very real but not very large), I decided it's time to finally go for the one and only.

Recently I saw a good deal on a hd600 (175 shipped) and thought I might as well pick it up. When I ordered the hd600 I really didn't think too much of it, especially after having spoiled my self with so many other "better" headphones. After talking with a friend I decided to order the Cardas cable as well which ended up arriving the day after I got the hd600.

I received the Hd600 the other week. This is was my first time hearing the hd600 (however I owned the hd580 several years ago for a short period of time unamped on a poor source, and also have heard the hd650 a few times unburned in). At first listening I was not impressed, it sounded harsh, thin and just so below the L3000. I then got the Cardas in the mail the following day, and plugged them in to the Hr-2.
WOW! What a difference with out a doubt I was surprised these were the same headphones. Open, clearer and more detailed, now this is a headphone! Now I’m not saying that it beats the l3k or the he90, but defiantly a good headphone with a lot of potential.
The problem I seem to be having is with the soundstage (as I said before soundstage is my ultimate goal here). The hd600 has a decent size soundstage. I feel that the l3k is slightly larger actually, as it is very realistic and really goes "around" your head at all angles. But I'm getting pretty curious about if this problem can be adjusted with a high-end balance amp (SDS XLR?) and a different Source. I mean if the cardas could make this kind of difference, It really has me wondering if the Hd600 can achieve the kind of size (maybe even surpass) that the he90 was able to.

So for you lucky few that have heard both the hd600 on the best of the best, and the he90.. Please let me know!
orphsmile.gif
600smile.gif

Sep 25, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 12
I heard a balanced HD-650 hooked to a Headroom Max, and the soundstage was leaps and bounds ahead of my HD-600 w/Oehlbach on a PIMETA. Really incredible. I have not heard an HE90, unfortunately.

Sep 25, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icy006
I heard a balanced HD-650 hooked to a Headroom Max

it is only a recabled HD650 if you don't use a balanced amplifier with it.

Sep 25, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icy006
I heard a balanced HD-650 hooked to a Headroom Max, and the soundstage was leaps and bounds ahead of my HD-600 w/Oehlbach on a PIMETA. Really incredible. I have not heard an HE90, unfortunately.

sure you don't mean blockhead? If it was the headroom max it can't be balanced

Sep 25, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefguru
sure you don't mean blockhead? If it was the headroom max it can't be balanced

Maybe he meant the balanced Max at a meet?

Sep 25, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 12
Kyle: I've heard the HD 600 with Cardas balanced cables out of a HeadRoom Blockhead fed by a Meridian 588 (balanced to the Blockhead), and it was a revelation - absolutely breathtaking. It took the 600's to a whole 'nother level, and had I never heard the Orpheus, I might have said, "this is it - the best headphone sound in the world!" There was detail, speed, soundstage - everything one looks for - but, alas, I have heard the Orpheus, and it is better.

As to the L3000's, imho they are the best, most accomodating (with regard to source and amp), dynamic headphones around - they sound great with just about everything (once broken in). It would be most interesting to have someone recable them for balanced inputs, and try them with a BlockHead or Balanced Dynahi - methinks another level of greatness would be reached.

Sep 25, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
As to the L3000's... It would be most interesting to have someone recable them for balanced inputs, and try them with a BlockHead or Balanced Dynahi - methinks another level of greatness would be reached.

Look at ayt999's sig.

Sep 25, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
It would be most interesting to have someone recable them for balanced inputs, and try them with a BlockHead or Balanced Dynahi - methinks another level of greatness would be reached.

okay? did you see my signature recently? (or tkam's signature)

Sep 25, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau
Look at ayt999's sig.

guess I was a bit slow in responding....
tongue.gif

anyways, I'll try to get a balanced L3000 review out hopefully comparing it between the SDS-XLR, BlockHead, and Balanced Reference, with comparisons to a unbalanced L3000 on a DHA3000. (might put the stock cable back on for this part if it seems necessary or if I feel the balanced recable with adaptor isn't getting the most out of this combo.)

Sep 26, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #12 of 12
Chefguru,

I listened to Tom's Senn HD-650 running balance through SDS-XLR via Zu upgrade cable, and the combo was breaktaking. I is the best sound, I've heard from any headphone. The combo sounded very real. BTW, The source was Audio Aero DAC and Sony SCD-1 transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back