HD600 vs HD700 for electronic music - with Chord Hugo amp/DAC?
Jul 1, 2014 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RoundRound

100+ Head-Fier
Hello People,
I have the HD600 and like them but want more detail and I got a great offer on a pair of HD700.
I'm mainly into electronic music but also Rock and Jazz. I'm not a 'Bass head' and prefer accurate, natural sound. 
I'll pair these with a Chord Hugo Amp/Dac and most of my music is Lossless.

Also, 
What is sibilance? I keep seeing that mentioned...

Please share your thoughts,
Thanks!

Jul 1, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 10
  Hello People,
I have the HD600 and like them but want more detail and I got a great offer on a pair of HD700.
I'm mainly into electronic music but also Rock and Jazz. I'm not a 'Bass head' and prefer accurate, natural sound. 
I'll pair these with a Chord Hugo Amp/Dac and most of my music is Lossless.

Also, 
What is sibilance? I keep seeing that mentioned...

Please share your thoughts,
Thanks!

Hi,

Sibilant (or Sibilance) - "Essy", exaggerated "s" or "sh" sounds in vocals. Sibilant sounds carry most of their energy through the 4Khz to 8Khz range, but can extend to 10kHz, depending on the individual. Sibilance is often heard on radio.

From: http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

Jul 3, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #5 of 10
I wrote the review / comparison.

IMO, and from my experience - they aren't going to change with "break-in".  What you have now is the way they are going to continue to sound.  What will help is letting your brain get used to the sound.  So just use the HD700 and only the HD700 for a while.  You''ll adjust to the signature - and all will be good.

Jul 3, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #7 of 10
Nope - pretty sure Sennheiser won't say that - and the people who do are often simply repeating a myth.

Here - this links actual measurements of a brand new Q701 (AKGs were supposed to need 100's or hours to break-in).  The article is really good - well worth reading.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break

Pay particular attention to the summary on page 4.

Speakers do break-in, because of the spider which is part of the mechanical design.  Headphones don't have this - so there is nothing to break-in.  Despite this you'll still get people claiming night and day differences.  If break-in exists, the changes are extremely small, and any changes (again refer to the actual measurements from Tyll) would be very slight.  How they sound now are how they're going to continue to sound.

I don't want to start a debate (no doubt you'll get someone soon telling you it is real) - I'd just suggest to ignore the thought of break-in, and start enjoying your music.

Jul 3, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks Mate,
I hear you.

Well, I've been using them for 3 days now (breaking in 24 hours) and the sound is a bit muffled, especially the bass... I thought there was supposed to be lots of extra detail compared to the HD 600 but it's not there yet...?

I've noticed break-in (maybe psychological) with other headphones.

Jul 3, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #9 of 10
Yep - it's your brain adjusting to the sound sig.  If you ever get the chance, try it with a bright fast vs slower warmer sounding headphone.  It was funny when I used to own the Grado SR325i.

Try HD600 by itself for 10 minutes - realistic, natural, airy and expansive

Switch to SR325i - the Grado appears shrill, with a narrow sound stage, and very little bass impact

After 10-15 minutes, it starts sounding energetic, fun, exciting

Switch back to HD600 - and all of a sudden the HD600 sounds slow, veiled, muddy bass, distant vocals

After 10-15 minutes with the HD600, it returns to sounding realistic, natural, airy and expansive.

Has either headphone changed - nope.  All that has happened is that your brain has found a way to cope with the change of sonic signature.  It's quite cool really.

Anyway - the change you're noticing with the HD700 is that despite the forwardness in the upper mid-range, it is essentially a slightly warmer, darker headphone - where the HD600 despite the mid-bass hump, has an airier feel to it.  Give yourself time to get used to the HD700 by itself.  You might find you adjust to it's signature.  If you don't - then it's time to sell, and try something else. 

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 10
  Yep - it's your brain adjusting to the sound sig.  If you ever get the chance, try it with a bright fast vs slower warmer sounding headphone.  It was funny when I used to own the Grado SR325i.

Try HD600 by itself for 10 minutes - realistic, natural, airy and expansive

Switch to SR325i - the Grado appears shrill, with a narrow sound stage, and very little bass impact

After 10-15 minutes, it starts sounding energetic, fun, exciting

Switch back to HD600 - and all of a sudden the HD600 sounds slow, veiled, muddy bass, distant vocals

After 10-15 minutes with the HD600, it returns to sounding realistic, natural, airy and expansive.

Has either headphone changed - nope.  All that has happened is that your brain has found a way to cope with the change of sonic signature.  It's quite cool really.

Anyway - the change you're noticing with the HD700 is that despite the forwardness in the upper mid-range, it is essentially a slightly warmer, darker headphone - where the HD600 despite the mid-bass hump, has an airier feel to it.  Give yourself time to get used to the HD700 by itself.  You might find you adjust to it's signature.  If you don't - then it's time to sell, and try something else. 

+1 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back