HD600 vs. HD650
Nov 6, 2007 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

emericanchaos

100+ Head-Fier
i've never bothered looking into senns much but my new DV332 and my 990's don't always agree with each other and i feel i could benefit from a new pair of cans more so than a new amp.

i listen to rock and "extreme" metal. bits of electronic and blues with a touch of classical. also a big portion of my listening is watching movies and anime. my options on the two are HD600's for $240 ish or go right to the 650's for $299.

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #2 of 17
Apparently there is amazing synergy between the Darkvoice 332 and the Sennheiser HD650. If you like more bass driven music you'll prefer the HD650s, but the HD600s will offer a more balanced sound signature.

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently there is amazing synergy between the Darkvoice 332 and the Sennheiser HD650. If you like more bass driven music you'll prefer the HD650s, but the HD600s will offer a more balanced sound signature.

how much bass is dependent on what i'm playing. for rock too much bass gets in the way. for trance and other electronic stuff i tend to up the bass.

i'm most interested in something that will sound warm and full from 1k to about 5k and have enough bass kick to keep the drums intact. something with some snap would be good too as alot of my music is faster paced.

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 17
My darkvoice amp actually hasn't arrived yet, gotta wait a week for the white version. From reading the Darkvoice 332 thread in the amp forum a lot of the users have reported it gives the HD650s a very Grado-like sound whilst still retaining the smoothness which makes them so appealing.

Bad luck for you that I'm the only one replying to this thread considering I'm relatively "newbie".

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My darkvoice amp actually hasn't arrived yet, gotta wait a week for the white version. From reading the Darkvoice 332 thread in the amp forum a lot of the users have reported it gives the HD650s a very Grado-like sound whilst still retaining the smoothness which makes them so appealing.

Bad luck for you that I'm the only one replying to this thread considering I'm relatively "newbie".

it's not just you. this amp has only been around for a month or so. not many people know about it. plus our hours aren't exactly appealing to alot of headfi'ers.

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 17
The main difference between the two is that the HD650 has a touch more bass and are slightly darker than the HD600. Both will sound fantastic out of the Darkvoice, so it all comes down to how much bass you're looking for.

Nov 6, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogresmash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The main difference between the two is that the HD650 has a touch more bass and are slightly darker than the HD600. Both will sound fantastic out of the Darkvoice, so it all comes down to how much bass you're looking for.

last time i was in this predicament i went with more bass grabbing the 990's over the DT880's. on some tracks i feel i need more bass even with the 990's. though this could be because of poor quality mp3's.
mad.gif

right now i'm playing an ultrasone demo CD that some gracious person ripped to full size FLAC files. even with the beyer's this is an impressive experience.

i'd like to note that i find the 990's sibilant even with no EQ'ing.

Nov 6, 2007 at 10:22 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by emericanchaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
650's for $299.

where?

anyway my advice is to buy the best you can, which i think would be the HD650's. I love mine
redface.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo6Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, please tell us where to get these $299 cans...

i found it on froogle.google.com. seller was J&R something or other. then they were on ebay for 349.

Nov 8, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo6Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just did a price check at J&R. They are $329 now, with free shipping. Still not a bad deal at all. Thanks for the info...

no problem.

Nov 8, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #14 of 17
ok then lets go this route. HD 650 vs. Dt990. which is going to show more bass? right now with the DV my 990's are way too bassy. i have alot of the bass trimmed out specially 50-100hz area. will the 650's equal my 990's as far as bass?

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by emericanchaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok then lets go this route. HD 650 vs. Dt990. which is going to show more bass? right now with the DV my 990's are way too bassy. i have alot of the bass trimmed out specially 50-100hz area. will the 650's equal my 990's as far as bass?

I want to know this too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back